Editing existing website

New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have never used Dreamweaver before and I have a client with an existing website that needs editing. How do I import the URL into the Dreamweaver UI to make changes via HTML?? Do I need FileZilla to implement changes on the server?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JulieBayliss,

Which code editors have you used before?  What kind of site does the client have?  If it's built with WordPress or some other CMS, you should be editing it through the online admin panel or dashboard. 

To answer your question, first define the site.  Go to Site > New Site and tell DW where your local site folder will reside on your primary hard drive.  For example, C:\MyTestSite\.  See screenshots.

Site > New Site -- Local Site FolderSite > New Site -- Local Site Folder

Click on Servers and enter the remote server's S/FTP log-in credentials and Root Directory. If unsure, ask the web host. Manage Sites > Remote Server FTP log-inManage Sites > Remote Server FTP log-in

When done, hit the TEST button to confirm the connection. 

Assuming all goes well, hit F8 to bring up the Files Panel.  Use the DOWN arrow to GET files from remote server.  Use the UP arrow to PUT files on the remote server.

Hope that helps.  Post back if you have more questions.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this response was meant for a different Julie Bayliss
Cheers Julie Bayliss

[personal info removed]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this response was meant for a different Julie Bayliss
Cheers Julie Bayliss

[personal info removed]

By @JulieBayliss

I removed the phone numbers as per forum guidelines. Please remember that this is a public forum where personal info can be mis-used, e.g. sales calls.

Having said that, why do you believe that there is a different Julie Bayliss? I found Nancy's response to be spot on and have, as a consequece, shown my `like`.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to your forum Profile, you've been a forum member since 2012 and you have two recent posts in the Dreamweaver community. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/10286105

See screenshot.

image.png

Did you give your Adobe forum ID and password to someone to use in your place? 

Or perhaps you're confused by the forum email notice you received?  To turn off forum email notifications, click on your avatar (top right image) and select Account Settings > Notifications.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines