Exit

file do not update explorer <> DW

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I'm a little confused

when I go into my local website via windows explorer  and do some changes in a file

and I open DW and look into the changed file, the changes is not seen  -  I see the old version of the file

Why ???

Erik

Denmark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you making the changes? The way I read it, you make the changes in the browser. In this case the changes will not have been saved.

If I have misread the post and you have made the changes in Dreamweaver after which you do not see the changes in the browser, then you need to empty the browser cache. Maybe refreshing the browser a couple of times by pressing F5 will help.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

thanks for your answer

i do not use a browser - just go to the file via explorer

erik

denmark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using for your local server?  Or have you tried turning off caching for that service and refreshing, or clearing your browsing data?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's definitely not something DW and your OS should be doing. Typically, DW just works with files saved on your operating system. If a file is changed at the OS level, there's nothing in DW that would hold onto the old information, aside from maybe some kind of versioning workflow, like Git, maybe?

Is there any chance you have accidentally duplicated your pages and aren't actually working on the same exact files? 

The above happens pretty regularly when using DW without a Defined Site, or when the site hasn't been defined correctly. Many times, what happens is a duplication of the site's root folder (www or htdocs) in the local copy due to a settings issue. When working from within the site, it's updating a duplicate file within a duplicate root folder. When working from the OS, you're drilling down to the correct file (usually one directory above what DW is seeing).

Check your site files from within DW. If you see "www", "public_html" or "htdocs" inside your Files window, you're likely looking at a duplicate set of files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi

I have my site on 3 places. 2 on my PC and 1 on a remote server. The 2 on my PC one is connected to a local testing server (xampp). Sometimes when working with one of the two sites on my PC I find out that the otherone has changed, and I cannot figure why & how

Erik

Denmark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines