Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Name Changing to Uppercase

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Hoping to get a work around for Dreamweaver changing my file name to uppercase. For my membership software to work, the pages must be named index but it keeps reverting to Index. Is there any kind of setting I can change to stop this from happening? Anything else I can do? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

That may actually be an OS limitation.

Locally, Index, index and INDEX are all the same file. Your local OS doesn't care about the case structure. I've found, many times in the past, while trying to rename "something" to "Something" my OS would simply forget about the change in case structure and revert to the original.

If that's what's going on, I just change the file name, at the OS level, from "Index.html" to "index2.html", commit the change, then change it back to just "index.html". Since you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the OS file manager to change the name, as long as it is no more than changing upper case to lower case.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response! I actually found that the advice from Jon Fritz II was what was needed to work in the OS file manager. So glad to have it resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in complement of what said @BenPleysier  that is a nice workaround, you can also try to rebuild the cache... hit F5 on the file panel, or on the right up corner of the same file panel, using the drop down menu > rebuild cache... see what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advice Birnou, much appreciated! I have noted that rebuilding the cache can be a good workaround as well yet was able to do the renaming this time with the advice from Jon Fritz II. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may actually be an OS limitation.

Locally, Index, index and INDEX are all the same file. Your local OS doesn't care about the case structure. I've found, many times in the past, while trying to rename "something" to "Something" my OS would simply forget about the change in case structure and revert to the original.

If that's what's going on, I just change the file name, at the OS level, from "Index.html" to "index2.html", commit the change, then change it back to just "index.html". Since you're changing more than the case structure in each step, a stubborn OS will remember the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much Jon. Shazam! This worked quickly and nicely, MUCH appreciated ~ so happy to have it so easily resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines