• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP❕🤯 Looking for an EXPERT to Consult re: DW 2020 (& re-establishing WEBSITE on new computer)

Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👩‍💻 Calling all experienced Web Developers! :stop_sign: No, wait... stop scrolling! Yes, YOU! 👇
Please take a moment to see if you can help... 
If you are an experienced Web Developer (knowledgable in the below areas) and would like to assist me, please reach out by commenting below and we can discuss the opportunity further

Thanks for stopping to check out my post, I hope you can provide some advice or assist me in problem solving. Here's the short of my situation... 

I am new to establishing (or re-establishing, I should say) a website. I have utilized HTML in customizing various WYSIWYG sites. I was trained in Dreamweaver many, many years ago. I do not have much knowledge yet on best practices for ensuring everything is installed/set up correctly (including extensions, mySQL, etc). In fact, I have a hard time decifering some of the conversations in the forum, and our situation is pretty specific, so we are now looking for an expert to help us. 

I took over a position in where the web designer completely built our site in DW CS6 using PHP. We were forced to upgrade the computer she utilized to a new one, so upgraded Creative Cloud to 2020 as well. I have installed CC and DW and seem to have figured out most settings. However, I am now having issues establishing a test site, populating updates on database pricing (through mySQL), and our forms (submission emails/excel files) are failing to generate. I have already done a lot of research, but at this point we need to connect with an expert to help me problem solveand optimize the current site functions to fix our UX (a full re-vamp will follow). 

Ideally, we would want to be able to resolve these issues as soon as possible, remotely, using a video chat platform to be able to share my screen and collaborate. Please comment for additional information and/or if you are interested in assisting, and again, we can discuss the opportunity further. 

Thank you for considering! 🙏 Hope to hear from you soon! Amy 

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

WordPress is an open source PHP / MySQL framework.   Most web hosts support it.  Depending on what you need, there are paid WP Themes and plugins to extend the site's functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just need a little help setting up a php environment in DW, see the related discussion below.  Go to Site > Manage Sites.  Or if no site is defined yet, New Site.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/dreamweaver/preview-a-php-file/m-p/10810594#M56801

I fear that your departed web developer may have used outdated CS6 Server Behaviors.  Adobe removed that feature from DW about 6-7 years ago because the MySQL connections will not work with modern servers.  Also the old MySQL connection strings are not secure which puts your site at risk.  In the short run,  you could drop back to an older server model that has PHP 5.4 or 5.6 until the site can be re-programmed. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the information, Nancy, I very much appreciate it! I will try to tackle the test site using the link you provided. 

I was afraid we may be looking at outdated components or settings. Are you suggesting we go back to the old CS6 then? I have had the PHP set at 5.6 under our site setup (as that's what was specified in the previous DW) since I took over. 

Are you familiar with how database uploads work with modern servers and DW? And/or if there are any platforms that allow database uploads to populate pricing details? We are seeking out recommendations to establish the best solution for the new site, as we maintain a lot of information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous developer should have created a back end content management system for you to update the product data online.  DW is just a glorified code editor.  It's not a data management system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those were basically my thoughts as well, but I don't have experience doing that (yet). Have you developed back end content management systems that allow .csv uploads to update the data? And again, if there are platforms out there that already support this that you are aware of, we'd appreciate the info! Thank you, again! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WordPress is an open source PHP / MySQL framework.   Most web hosts support it.  Depending on what you need, there are paid WP Themes and plugins to extend the site's functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Nancy, I will look into WordPress and the plugins available. Our Digital Content Manager actually manages our blog on WP. The rest is managed in DW.

Do you know if there are any other platforms you can recommend to research further? I have done a little digging, but haven't been able to locate anything thus far. And any Data Management Systems that allow a data upload (like a .csv) and do work with the current (and future) DW? 

All of your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines