• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help needed

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.. I used FrontPage to develop some basic websites about 10 years ago.   I need to rebuild a site that was made by someone else in something called Joomla, HTML, Java, and has a MySQL database behind it.

I need drag and drop but Dreamweaver doesn't seem to work like FrontPage.  I've looked at WiX, and Wordpress, but they don't seem to have what I need.

Anyone know how to use this Dreamweaver thing that can tell me what to do?

TOPICS
Bootstrap , Browser , Code , Extensions , How to , Import and export , Interface , Other , Performance , Preview , Product issue , Publish , Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.. I used FrontPage to develop some basic websites about 10 years ago.   I need to rebuild a site that was made by someone else in something called Joomla, HTML, Java, and has a MySQL database behind it.

I need drag and drop but Dreamweaver doesn't seem to work like FrontPage.  I've looked at WiX, and Wordpress, but they don't seem to have what I need.

Anyone know how to use this Dreamweaver thing that can tell me what to do?

By @RG Insights Photography

There's no way you will be able to easily re-create this yourself if the original website used Joomla/database workflow. Once you get to database stage rather than a simple static website the process becomes complex for anyone without any knowledege of that kind of workflow.

You say Wordpress doesnt give you what you want. Wordpress probably does if you know what its capable of. It sounds like you are completely out of your depth as the original website wouldnt have used Java but Javascript - tying to navigate someone with littel knowledge through a complex process is just not possible.

If you do want to take on the re-build yourself then your best bet IS Wordpress and a ready-made template, you should go and look at some tutorials on Google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your reply to my call for help.   I may be able to get all but the database related parts working with Wordpress if I can get that sorted out.  At least it will help get some presence back for the site, which became disabled due to updates at the hosting provider.

I will definitely re-investigate Wordpress.  The two largest issues I need is for administrative override on a scheduling calendar, registered users only being allowed to post to a calendar (for scheduling time in a facility), and having the users register for that ability along with administrative ability to delete, alter passwords to either temporarily block someone from logging in, or reset their forgotten password.   I have no idea if Wordpress would be able to tie into the current database and provide that or not.  The rest of the site are fairly basic pages presenting just textual information, a Google map link and photos.

Hopefully this will pan out at least on an interim basis with Wordpress.

Thank you very much for your taking the time to reply to my inquiry!    

Kind regards,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

everything is possible with Wordpress. you can develop a plugin that will re-map the database, in order to correlate WP with your own information system... but then, the concern will come from possible updates of WP that you will have to monitor closely, or especially if you use plug ins that have to come and pick from the database.

the wisest thing would be to start again on a clean basis and forget about your current information system. you can foresee a possible EDI to restructure your old information system towards a system specific to WP... anyway... if you choose to use WP and you roll up your sleeves, here are some important sources to take into account

Once Wordpress is installed, you can, of course, use a free theme, but I would advise you to opt for a Premium theme, purchased on a marketplace, such as https://themeforest.net/category/wordpress.
In this case the templates are well monitored, updated, and are generally quality products. Themeforest is not unique, there are many other marketplaces.
Here is a comparison table that can give you an idea https://webmetools.com/themeforest/alternatives.

Be careful though, we always think that Templates are interchangeable as simply as clicking on the Appearance button from the back office.

It is, in fact, not as simple and fast as that. Nowadays, most of the Templates offer the use of their own Shortcodes to represent components, sliders, functionalities specific to their visuals, etc... including the collaboration with internal content editors like fusion core, page builder, Visual composer, Elementor... So both the templates' own shortcodes and the internal editors, stuff the POST content with proprietary code, which is sometimes difficult to get rid of, and therefore to replace a template by another as simply as the song says.

Like templates, there is a plethora of plugins that extend the capabilities of WP. Very often, and very frequently, it is useless to reinvent the hot water; In addition to the official (and recommended) source of WP plug ins https://fr.wordpress.org/plugins/ , there is also a canyon code, where you can find some gems https://codecanyon.net/ .

Anyway, you can create your own custom Template, and/or plugin, and maintain them as well. So, if you want to create your own theme, using Dreamweaver, it is important to respect several steps...

Anyway, whatever, if you need further explanation, please, don't hesitate... one of folks here around will probably help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.... that's great info and I really appreciate your taking the time to provide such detail!   I am looking into WP now but not yet taking the plunge, though the plunge will be happening very soon as I have to get things running again.

Sincere thanks!!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for your comment. I'm glad to see that it can help you.

you will see WP is like a drug, we quickly become addicted to its approach, its structuring, its architecture ... and not to forget its documentation and its immeasurable community

sometimes one can even use WP only it for it's fabulous Back Office, and its functionality classes then, one can use anything else on the front, forgetting the Templates engine ... just point it out from the beginning of the page using

<?php
      define('WP_USE_THEMES', false);
      require('../wp-blog-header.php');
 ?>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Front Page  -- discontinued in 2003  -- was a static site builder for novices with little or no coding skills.

Unlike FP, Dreamweaver is a tool for editing code.  It is NOT a drag & drop site builder.  With the right know-how, you can create whatever you want with DW but tools don't build great websites, people do.

Joomla is an online CMS platform.  Joomla sites are dynamically driven with content stored in a MySQL database and assembled by the server with PHP programming.  There are no real pages to edit.  Joomla files consist entirely of scripts and server-side programming.

What is wrong with your current Joomla site that makes you want to revert from a dynamic site to static HTML that can't do anything?  Wouldn't that be counterproductive?

Dreamweaver assumes you having sufficient coding skills in HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript (not Java) as well as at least one or two frameworks. Without those skills, I think this project may be beyond your reach.  

Read chapters, do code exercises and take quizzes at the end.
- https://www.w3schools.com/html/
- https://www.w3schools.com/css/
- https://www.w3schools.com/js/
- https://www.w3schools.com/php/

- https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap4/

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.   The original site, as I have been informed, uses Joomla 1.0 version.  The other elements that went into making it were of the same era.  The hosting provider updated things and broke all but two pages on the site.  This is why I'm now desperate to find a way to get things operational again.   I appreciate your detailed response, and yes, I feel totally out of my depth on this.  With enough time and training, I'm sure I could eventually get it done, but my need is immediate and won't wait for me to ramp up, hence my pleading.   I will still look into it all per your recommendations, but I also feel based on replies so far that I am going to have to hire someone to handle this.

Thank you for taking the time to give such an informative and detailed reply.   All the best to you and yours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joomla 1.0 was developed with a version of PHP that is no longer supported by contemporary servers. this is the reason why your site no longer works.

I think it's really time to update your site, which moreover must not well be adapted to mobile and modern devices.

you can of course opt to stay on a Joomla base (current) but the architecture of Joomla is very particular, even complex, I can only recommend you to opt for WordPress as specified in other comments.

There are of course other CMS engines, but the most extensive, responsive and complete community remains by far that of WP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be willing to share a link to the site to help us understand what you are trying to do in better detail?  There is no more drag and drop with the web, unless you invest in visual extensions for your CMS.  For instance, with Joomla there is this option ( https://www.joomshaper.com/page-builder ).  If you wanted something like that for Wordpress there are solutions like Divi ( https://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/divi/ ) or Elementor ( https://elementor.com ). None of these are free options, and do take some time to learn their framework as it would learning any bit of code.  I am also surprised by your comment about Wix, what does their offering lack?  Understanding this can help us give you a better recommendation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The website is for my other business, which is a rental photography studio that handles both still and video photography.  The site is no longer showing the textual pages for the rates, location, policies, and general info.  The studio pictures and the online calendar do work though the calendar requires one be a registered user in the database and logged in to see the scheduling link, which brings up a pop-up calendar that registered users can put their time blocks on for their shoots.

The website is at http://evocativerental.com 

Thank you for your reply and any additional insight into this.

Kind regards,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From looking there are a lot of files that are missing from your site that have been moved/removed (right click in your browser and inspect the page and look at the console tab for all the missing files). Based on that this is Joomla 1, which is much older web technology and was not updated, I think you are at a point where the cost of migration to a newer version of Joomla presents you with a good opportunity to choose the platform of your choosing because it is a huge task to migrate from verison 1.x to 4.x.  I would suggest looking to either a newer version of Joomla and starting clean, or consider moving to Wordpress/Wix to solve your needs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ben!

It seems the consensus here points to WordPress for a new solution, which I am going to look into.  My biggest task will be re-integrating the existing database with the calendaring function so I won't lose all the data there on prior and future events schedule by registered users.

I have the feeling starting clean is going to be the optimal solution, and hopefully WP will be something I can figure out without having to hire out to get things going again.

Thank you for taking the time to respond with your advice and insight.

Kind regards,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines