• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I access site built with DW, but without DW?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is perhaps sort of a weird question.  I used to have an older version of DW on a Win 7 computer years ago.  I used it to build a web site that is currently up and running.  I currently do not have DW on my new Win 10 computer.  And it has been years since I did any web design and have basically forgotten everything.  My question is this:  How can I access my website, without DW, and make changes to it? 

I think I found an "ftp host address" and password for the site.  Is there a free app that would fairly easily do what I want to do?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

If you know the FTP log-in credentials, use Filezilla FTP client to GET files from remote server.  Use Brackets or any other HTML code editor to edit the site.  When done, use Filezilla to PUT files to server.

===================

Beware of fake Adobe reps offering to sell you software or take control of your computer.  It's a scam.  Run away!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know the FTP log-in credentials, use Filezilla FTP client to GET files from remote server.  Use Brackets or any other HTML code editor to edit the site.  When done, use Filezilla to PUT files to server.

===================

Beware of fake Adobe reps offering to sell you software or take control of your computer.  It's a scam.  Run away!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Nancy.  I appreciate it.  For some reason, it says that your response has been marked as the Correct Answer.  But I did not mark it that way, and I thought it was up to the initiator of the post to mark something as correct or not. 

But anyway -- I guess I was looking for something more intuitive and WYSIWYG, that presents a visual image of the pages in the web site, and can be edited without coding, and also I would like to  have one program that combines ftp access and editing together, rather than two programs.  Maybe there isn't something out there that is free, but maybe still a lot cheaper than Dreamweaver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forum moderators also check correct answers. 

You know the old saying, "You get what you pay for?"  The latest version of DW CC  does what you want and a lot more but you must pay for it (approx $21/month for 12 months ).  A free 7 day trial is available.

https://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/free-trial-download.html

Pinegrow is another visual web page editor but it lacks the advanced site management and FTP features  that DW has.  And it's not free but a free trial is available.

https://pinegrow.com/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the helpful info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines