• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get "insert table" to stop adding a non-breaking space?

Participant ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I insert a table (using the insert menu), it adds a non-breaking space after the table. I know how to manually remove the space, but is there a preference/spec somewhere to prevent it from being put there in the first place?

TOPICS
Code , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Turns out this one is on me: when I went to insert a table, I did an "enter" to put the cursor in the place I wanted the table; it kept that as a space. My bad...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit Tag Libraries.  See screenshots.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attached table was made with the tag formatting as you've suggested, but that didn't solve my issue. The highlighted line is the one I don't want; the non-breaking spaces in each table row are ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to Apply Source Formatting.  Refer to my screenshot above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to create a custom Snippet with the code you use most frequently.

<table>

<tr>

<td> </td>

</tr>

</table>

You can also create a Snippet trigger key (shortcut) for quick insertion into documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The highlighted line is the one I don't want; the non-breaking spaces in each table row are ok.

By @carol mcgann

I can't reproduce this behavior, using the command simply a TABLE is inserted.

In addition to the snipet advised by @Nancy OShea  you can use EMMET, very flexible and customizable as you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this behavior, using the command simply a TABLE is inserted.

In addition to the snipet advised by @Nancy OShea  you can use EMMET, very flexible and customizable as you like.

👍

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turns out this one is on me: when I went to insert a table, I did an "enter" to put the cursor in the place I wanted the table; it kept that as a space. My bad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally still cant get over how this is still an issue 20+ years later with things around this output and how some things are still default when they should not be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an issue because people use Design View to add content to tables in DW.

Without the &nbsp; added to the cell, cell heights collapse and it's impossible to click into them in order to add content while using DV. When content is added there, the &nbsp; is automatically erased.

Unfortunately, Adobe never got around to updating the Live View Editor to have the same function. While they made collapsed cells grow automatically in Live (negating the reason for their existence if you never use Design), they never gave the LVE the ability to clear the non-breaking space when content is added there. 

The LVE was meant to be a replacement for Design View, but never quite got there before they put DW in minimally maintained limbo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines