• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I prevent FTP from uploading my DW website in a subfolder of the root directory?

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I update my website occasionally enough that I tend to forget certain details. (And Adobe stops supporting the old ways I set it up, another story). When I updated my creaky old, non-dynamic site, I gave it a new name on my server (first PeasePress 2019, now changed to PeasePress) to distinguish it from the 2018 version. DW instructions say this is OK to do... When I relink to the server in Dreamweaver, and update the required FTP information, I left the Root folder blank. The host's tech support say that either leaving this blank, or /www/www -- I have tried both of these, and the site uploads to a PeasePress subfolder rather than .index.html being in the root directory. I think all my other settings are correct per DW and the web host.  I have tried some of the other suggested (generic or other-site-specific) suggestion in the DW help, including /, /www, various parts of my URL, but these bring up an error message when I click "test" or try to put the files online from DW, whereas blank or /www/www both connect successfully.

In the root there is a copy of the index, which I manually copied there using Fetch, but the graphics links don't link to the Images_Index folders on the root). And it only links to the pages that are on the old website. But it works otherwise.

If instead of typing my regular URL, peasepress.com, I type peasepress.com/PeasePress/index.html I get the content of the new folder, and the links in that index work (for the pages I've uploaded, but not the older pages only on the root folder). How do I convince DW and my server to put the files in the root? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Ben Pease

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

It sounds to me like you have a redundant root folder in your site. When you open your Files window, is your site contained in a folder called PeasePress? Something like...

Site - Your site name (C: the location of your local root folder)
     PeasePress
          index.html
          images

...the rest of your site files...

If it is, nothing is technically "wrong" online. You've uploaded your site exactly as you have it set up.

If PeasePress is your local site's root folder, you need to chan

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you dragging the PeasePress folder to the target server?  Or are you highlighting the contents of the folder and dragging them?  If the destination folder is left blank, then that should be going to the root of the FTP destination.  But different hosting services have things set up in different ways.  Mine, I have to set destination folder as "/www/html/".

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this recent situation I have been using the straight-up DW "put" method, but in Fetch I've put files directly in their respective folders (or moved them) item by item, rather than moving the folders. Will check this plus Jon Fritz's comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your site definition settings.  See screenshot.

CC-RootFolder.jpg

File Panel expanded to show Remote and Local side-by-side.  Notice the root folder (public_html) on Remote side but not on the Local side.   Your set-up should be similar.

CC-FilesPanel-expanded.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me like you have a redundant root folder in your site. When you open your Files window, is your site contained in a folder called PeasePress? Something like...

Site - Your site name (C: the location of your local root folder)
     PeasePress
          index.html
          images

...the rest of your site files...

If it is, nothing is technically "wrong" online. You've uploaded your site exactly as you have it set up.

If PeasePress is your local site's root folder, you need to change your site definition to turn it into your Local Site Folder as far as DW is concerned.

When you click Put in DW to "Put the entire site" DW moves all of the contents of whatever you have set as the Local Site Folder to the Server Root Directory. If you have an extra folder within what DW sees as your Local Site Folder, that folder will upload as well.

You can leave everything the same, just change the Local Site Folder to be the PeasePress folder under Site > Manage Sites > click your site > Edit. It wll be on the first page of the dialogue window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds promising. Will look that up and try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So thanks to Nancy, Jon, and Wolfshade, answer I sorta solved it with a little of all your suggestions.

1. There were ALL sorts of old files in the local PeasePress website folder; parts I had saved, old pages I had replaced but set aside just in case. It is possible some of the links referred to another root folder somewhere else on my site (such as 2018 or earlier folder). If I didn't see them immediately, when I checked the links in Safari on the local site, the good links took me to the right (other) page; there were some dead links that referred to files of the same name but in a 2018 website folder.  I did all this on my local folder. I deleted or hid away the files I knew were older pages or parts, and I repaired the links on the keeper pages, I got the file list down from 2-3 screens high to 1 screen high.

2. Eventually when I got my files nearly all cleaned up, I moved the PeasePress folder closer to my Mac's hard drive. I put it in: Macintosh HD/Users/benpease/[here] because I wasn't sure if it was wise to put it outside my user folder. That turned out to be close enough; several steps closer to the Mac's "C: drive" than it had been.

3. I was looking forward to linking my new local site location to the remote server; it did connect before I cleaned out the original folder, and I think it was putting files in the right places). When I removed a bunch of unessential old files from the remote servers  (not yet the index, but files I had just deleted locally,)  apparently I deleted one or more file that defined the remote/local link. Dreamweaver wouldn't let me link the local site to the server  (or vice versa); it wanted me to define a new site. I wasn't sure what would happen if I did create a new (adjacent) site...I will try and figure it out some day so I can put files up the Dreamweaver way.

4. Ultimately I deleted the entire remote site save for two folders I didn't have locally; using Fetch FTP app. Then I just uploaded all the individual html and CSS files plus the subfolders of graphics, to the empty root folder, using Fetch.  I continued to check the working site, found a few more broken or dud links, re-put the files and graphics using Fetch, check it in Safari on the remote web address, until everything worked. A couple times, re-loading the file and refreshing the browser (its cached files) wouldn't fix the broken links; I had to delete the file in question and then upload the new one for it to appear properly with links intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines