• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am confounded once again by this fiendishly complicated HTM hell thingy....

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I comment out the swathes of drop down, upon drop down html that are part of the all-inclusive but excessive, main menu of a pretty good template I bought this year. The greyed out section disappears when I merely copy the editted menu to paste in new pages? The receiving page is fine with its new code. There are smaller greyed out sections that remain on the original page but the largest one disappears albeit for a solitary hyphen and a downward caret next to the number margin of my source code page, this caret does nothing, I did hope it would reveal the acres of code it conceals. I think the hyphen is there on the live page also. Unobtrusively, like the way that kind of feral code does cling on to a browser page? Now I am not concerned that it happens, but for the fact that I have neither control or notification of this wayward process and I only stumbled on this tiny character by accident? Can anyone enlighten me of this mini drama.

I have to say that the greyed out section of the page is usually based around the <ul> elements, leaving the parent <li> elements in tact, indespersed between pages of greyed out  child element stuff to keep the menu tops like Home, About etc.

What puzzles me is that when this spurious placeholder hyphen is there, with non greyed out <li> elements that are left whole to function normally, hidden as they are, they function! Even when they are not actually present in the code? I have a thought that you people in the know will point out

"Oh that is a reverse Turing circumflex, do you know nothing?"

In the meantime I remain baffled.....

Attached a picture of a hyphen taken las year in Sarajevo....

TOPICS
Browser , Code , Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My spelling mistakes and poor grammar are like an open book....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're probably breaking the code validation when you move stuff around.  

VALIDATION SERVICE:

https://validator.w3.org/

Make sure all the needed tags are paired with closing tags.  No orphaned tags allowed. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines