• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If I revert from CC to CS6 will my CC site still work?

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a web site using Dreamweaver CC  but wish to revert back to CS6 so that I don't have to keep paying a monthly sub. Will my CC sites still work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

I think you should test your site in CS6.  Ask yourself if you can live with  7 year old software.

• Do the pros outweigh the cons?
  • CS6 is not HiDef aware.
  • CS6 is not as RWD friendly as CC.
  • Modern CSS will not render properly in CS6.
  • CS6 doesn't support modern code hints.

Only you can decide if these omissions are important to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pages will open fine in CS6, however, if you used any of the functions that were added in later versions (that don't exist in CS6), you won't be able to edit those items within the dialogue windows that exist in the newer program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary+8  wrote

I have created a web site using Dreamweaver CC  but wish to revert back to CS6 so that I don't have to keep paying a monthly sub. Will my CC sites still work?

Yes. The features added to CC are relatively useless. You will not only save money, but you will enjoy a better, more stable Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One additional note, you may need to run the Adobe Cleaner Tool to get CC removed from your system entirely. The perpetual license version of CS6 can get caught up in CC's subscription check, when both are on the same machine, making it appear as if you need a subscription to run your old software.

You don't, but if you see that, you'll need to do some house cleaning to get up and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should test your site in CS6.  Ask yourself if you can live with  7 year old software.

• Do the pros outweigh the cons?
  • CS6 is not HiDef aware.
  • CS6 is not as RWD friendly as CC.
  • Modern CSS will not render properly in CS6.
  • CS6 doesn't support modern code hints.

Only you can decide if these omissions are important to you.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually CS6 is not that bad when it comes to rwd, and do not want to use bootstrap.

The html/html5 and css code hints are usable provided one remembers that the flexbox hints are from the 2009 spec, (as there is no stand alone auto prefixer in any Dw version, snippets have to be used anyway).

Javascript hinting is for most users o/k, but don't use the SB's.

Media-queries are just as good in CS6 as in the latest Dw, there is no visual bar, but that was not very good anyway.

As for live view, browsers must be used instead, no big deal.

If the OP knows how to write extensions for Dw, CS6 is easily updated as far a code hints go, and one can even add support for srcset and css variables, (not even Dw 2019 has those).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Live View is a waste of time. A competent developer always tests in real devices. That said, CC19 design view is just as  flawed as CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

CC19 design view is just as  flawed as CS6.

Al,

I could post examples of why rendering in CC 2019 is better than CS6 but I won't because it does not matter what you and I think

What matters is how the OP works with DW and we don't have  enough information to form an opinion either way.   

How long has Mary+8 been a CC user?  Unknown.

Does Mary+8 need to work on Mac Mojave? Unknown.

Does Mary+8 primarily work in Code or Design/Live View?  Unknown.

Does Mary+8 use dual or HiDPI monitors on Windows?  Unknown.

Does Mary+8 use Bootstrap?  Unknown. 

Does Mary+8 use Flexbox and/or CSS grid?  Unknown. 

Does Mary+8 work with LESS/SASS files? Unknown.

Does Mary+8 need improved SFTP ciphers to upload files? Unknown.

There have been a LOT of improvements since 2012.   Dreamweaver CC new features | Create and code faster   And as we all know, CS6 is never, ever going to be updated again.  Personally, i would have trouble reverting to CS6 after using CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

And as we all know, CS6 is never, ever going to be updated again.  Personally, i would have trouble reverting to CS6 after using CC.

I find working in CS6 preferable to any CC version, but as I have said before, I know how to update code hints and add features via writting my own extensions.

As I work primarily with css, I found that CS6 was infinitly preferable to CC, and flexbox, grids, srcset, css variables, keyframes, auto-prefixing, and even php pdo SB's have all been included. That is the advantage of CS6 vs newer CC versions, the writting and installation of extensions is much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may work for you as an experienced coder and extension builder.   But I think those skills are beyond the average DW user, don't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may work for you as an experienced coder and extension builder.   But I think those skills are beyond the average DW user, don't you?

Why, I ask .

The ability and ease of writing your own extensions for Dw, was one of its selling points before Adobe. There was even a well supported forum just for Dw extensions, Unfortunatly it slowly died after Adobes acquisition, as fewer and fewer coders used Dw.

Many of the earlier features of Dw before Adobe started life as extensions written by users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're going off topic, as usual.  The original question is whether or not a CC built site can be maintained in CS6?   In theory, yes.  But mileage may vary.   My answer as before:  try before you decide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're going off topic, as usual.  The original question is whether or not a CC built site can be maintained in CS6?   In theory, yes.  But mileage may vary.   My answer as before:  try before you decide.

Yes, going off topic is becoming the norm, (unfortunatly) but you are correct, the OP must decide for themselves.

All I was trying to point out, was that writting their own extensions would help. Also they could ask in the forum if they wish to learn, 'how'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were a big help in steering the thread off-topic, Nancy. Jon was taking care of things nicely. At most you could have simply asked the original poster what her operating system is. But the question you led with, the one about using 7 year-old software was telling. A very large percentage of our customers use CS6 because it is simpler and far more stable than CC. The features added to CC are less than the features removed. You just like it because you are wedded to Bootstrap, I don't see evidence of any other reason. But I digress. Mary might be sitting somewhere feeling conflicted about using 7 year-old software and perhaps not understanding the rest of your questions, which were tooted with much softer notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

You just like it because you are wedded to Bootstrap, I don't see evidence of any other reason.

Not true.   I coded with Bootstrap in CS6, no problem.   It served me well at the time.  But my vision changed.  These days,  I must use a dark UI and high contrast code theme to see what I'm doing.  I can't get that from CS6.   Brackets was my main code editor for a while until CC  released its own dark UI. 

Stability hasn't been an issue for me in 2014, 2017  or  2019.   Maybe I'm just lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently you are lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there seems to be a variety of responses to my question and I appreciate the interest you have all shown. My background is: I am a designer for print who has  migrated of necessity to web site design. I am self taught and have been on a steep learning curve since the beginning. I am about to lose my main client for whom I started to use CC and am looking to reduce unnecessary outlay. Answers to Nancy's questions: I started with GoLive CS2 and have worked my way through to CS6 and then on to CC. I am not a natural coder but have got to grips with the basics and can work with most html and css code. I have CS6 on an iMac running OS 6. The reason I want to continue using it is that I have several types of design software installed that will not run on later operating systems. I have a later MacMini on which I run CC as it needs the later OS. I don't intend to try and run CS6 on this machine with the later OS as it won't work. I work in Design/Live view I use Bootstrap with CC and have also looked at downloading it and using the Bootstrap styles within CS6 although I am not sure from comments on the internet which version of Bootstrap is the best one. I don't use Flexbox or CSS grid I don't work with LESS/SASS. I am not sure what improved SFTP ciphers are So there you have it, I am no expert and am looking to downsize/downgrade to simple web sites for clients whose requirements are basically to have straightforward but responsive web sites. I hoped that I could integrate CS6 with Bootstrap and produce something modern looking and informative. Am I a lost cause and barking up the wrong tree?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using the bootstrap extensions from dmxzone with CS6 -

https://www.dmxzone.com/3/extensions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hoped that I could integrate CS6 with Bootstrap and produce something modern looking and informative. Am I a lost cause and barking up the wrong tree?

Bootstrap is not the panacea some folks make it out to be. But if you have your heart set on using it, DMX one's extension should be helpful. Another tactic would be to invest in a layout-building extension for Dreamweaver that takes a far more efficient approach than Bootstrap. But it's your call. If you want to explore other means, all you need to do is ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DMX is a new one to me. Will it work with an old version of DW (CS6) ? Do you think a layout-building extension for Dreamweaver is available for and compatible with CS6? I only want to use Bootstrap because I think I almost understand how it works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

The DMX Zone Bootstrap extension will work fine in CS6.

My company makes layout-building tools and they also will work perfectly in Dreamweaver CS6. If you'd like to try one before deciding, please let me know. You can even ring me up on the phone if you like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used Bootstrap in CS6 but I worked in Code View and regularly checked my progress in real browsers.

No matter which version of Bootstrap you use, you must learn the 12-box grid and helper classes for that version.  Otherwise, you're writing unnecessary extra code and defeating the whole purpose in using Bootstrap.

Bootstrap 3 vs. Bootstrap 4

Bootstrap 4 is the newest version of Bootstrap; with new components, faster stylesheet and more responsiveness.  Bootstrap 4 supports the latest, stable releases of all major browsers and platforms. However, Internet Explorer 9 and down is not supported.

If you require IE8-9 support, use Bootstrap 3. It is the most stable version of Bootstrap, and it is still supported by the team for critical bugfixes and documentation changes. However, new features will NOT be added to it.

I no longer care about older browsers, so I'm using the latest versions of Bootstrap & jQuery.

Bootstrap 4 Tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines