• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In design view only text and links are showing up, not the site design

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my home computer the design view looks fine and looks like the web page minus the boxes for the library items.  When I downloaed the site to my new computer, however, all that shows up now on the page in the design view are the links, library text and images.  Nothing is formated.  It is just like one long vertical list.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Does the page look right in Live View or on a browser?

Keep in mind, Design View is NOT how your page is going to look. It's a leftover from the Macromedia days and doesn't understand much when it comes to modern website development. You'll need to check your pages in a real browser to truly know what's going to happen with them. Live View is better, but Design View has been poorly named for decades.

It may be nothing, but there are errors in your html, denoted by the red X at the bottom of the do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Just had an idea...

I went to your site and checked out the code. There's really nothing so egregious that it would be a show stopper in DW, so I tried something. I turned off all of the css files and got the same view you're showing in your screen grab.

Since I can see all the names of the css files across your image, I know they're linked in the code correctly. I'm guessing you may have somehow accidentally turned off the display of your css in DW. To check that...

1. Verify Design View is open (

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to say exactly what might have happened, but it could be a simple as forgetting to also download an external .css stylesheet.

If you downloaded everything, including any external .css files, check the links to the stylesheets in your code. If they starts with "file", it's likely you have not properly defined your site on your new computer and DW doesn't know how to handle your assets correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John for your response.  It seems everything is linked correctly.  Is there another issue that could be causing this?  I've attached a screen shot of part of the page.  THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry:  Here is it is as an image

one.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the page look right in Live View or on a browser?

Keep in mind, Design View is NOT how your page is going to look. It's a leftover from the Macromedia days and doesn't understand much when it comes to modern website development. You'll need to check your pages in a real browser to truly know what's going to happen with them. Live View is better, but Design View has been poorly named for decades.

It may be nothing, but there are errors in your html, denoted by the red X at the bottom of the document window, so it might be something there.

Fixing the errors reported at http://validator.w3.org/nu might bring it back in line in Design View. 

DW is very reliant on clean and valid code. That had only gotten more important as time marched on with the program. Newer versions seem less forgiving of errors than the older versions were and now that the program is "minimally maintained", the chances of ever seeing that fixed are pretty much gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had an idea...

I went to your site and checked out the code. There's really nothing so egregious that it would be a show stopper in DW, so I tried something. I turned off all of the css files and got the same view you're showing in your screen grab.

Since I can see all the names of the css files across your image, I know they're linked in the code correctly. I'm guessing you may have somehow accidentally turned off the display of your css in DW. To check that...

1. Verify Design View is open (the menu option below won't appear if you don't have Design View open)
2. Go to View > Design View Options > Style Rendering
3. Make sure "Display Styles" has a checkmark next to it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!  That was the problem.  I apologize for the delayed response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines