Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Dreamweaver the next Muse?

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I started my web development journey with dreamweaver back in 2016 and have slowly moved away from it as it hasnt really improved much since the last big update I beileve in 2019 or 2020. They used to have a roadmap or atleast some updates periodically but nothing for a long while. I am just curious if anyone knows what the future holds for it. Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Those in the know have signed a confidentiality agreement. 

Best guess, have a look at https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Adobe.xd

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those in the know have signed a confidentiality agreement. 

Best guess, have a look at https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Adobe.xd

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the perfect answer haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no future, according to Adobe themselves, its 'minimally maintained' now, whatever that means, but it doesn't convey a hugely positive message that its a bit of software which will see a lot of development in the near future. It's already some way behind the curve now compared to other editors so it's future looks bleak.

Anyone serious about web development going forward should consider looking at alternative options, preferably learn to code then you won't become dependent on any text editor or IDE. Those that rely on one workflow are sitting ducks, just waiting to be picked off sometime in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Dreamweaver the next Muse?

By @Bryant Designs

well .. Are you implying that DW will join the shelf like Muse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a minimally maintained code editor, I think DW will last for as long as Adobe cares to maintain it.

Brackets was discontinued last year. And Muse ended in 2018.

I think it's fair to say that Adobe has lost interest in putting more resources into stand alone web authoring software.  But continues to invest in online solutions: Behance, Adobe Portfolio and Creative Cloud Express (formerly called Spark).

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a minimally maintained code editor, I think DW will last for as long as Adobe cares to maintain it.

By @Nancy OShea

When it was maintained it was in 18 month cycles, I believe.....phewy that's not acceptable now for any 'paid for' web authoring software. Minimum should be 3 times a year, just to keep pace......so 'minimally maintained ' is anyones guess.........it's  dead for any serious player to consider, if not officially announced. I just wish they would get on and announce it to put everyone out of their misery and bring an end to it, rather than a long-drawn out existence which I can't see does anyone any good, least of all Adobe, which is renowned for cutting-edge software - do they really want DW as an 'also run' in their portfolio? 

I don't know where it all went pear shaped, well I do. It started with 'fluid grids' an all singing dancing responsive solution which was announced with great fanfare and a lot of development costs, it was a complete disaster. Adobe quickly introduced Bootstrap. They should have been investing money and time in what DW was known for, the only editor which offered an easy route into dynamic database building. From that point on, despite a ready made focus group, this forum, Adobe chose to ingore its user base - well what goes around comes around, it was waiting to happen, everyone could see it apart from Adobe, unless of course it was planned to happen this way.

Personally I would have liked to have seen a completely new offering from Adobe to replace DW. They rolled out Brackets which I thought was shaping up to become a very good editor but again there was never any real commitment, updates were slow and it became a marginal player. Its annoying really because 3 players bought out 'free' software, which is better than most paid for software and killed the market for anyone wanting to get involved with producing an editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When it was maintained it was in 18 month cycles, I believe....

=========

18 month cycles ended with legacy Creative Suite. Under that model, software couldn't keep pace with new OSs.

Most Creative Cloud products get multiple incremental updates (dot releases) per year and one major upgrade in the Fall during Adobe MAX.  Bug fixes get rolled out almost immediately.  As you say, people can't wait 18 months for them.

Unlike previous years, DW received support for new Apples and some security & compatibility updates but no new features.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines