• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it me or is Dreamweaver pretty useless now

Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe how bad Dreamweaver has become does anyone else agree ? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish we could just insert a layout like a table and drag the rows and columns to size that we want and have the layout responsive as well to start with   : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @haleyt88803336 ,

Thanks for writing to us. On the table rows and columns resizing, please see if enabling Table hud allows row/column resizing in Live view and with Design view, the earlier resizing capabilities is still available.

Table resize in live viewTable resize in live view

Table resizing option will be enabled after clicking on table's sandwich icon in live view.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davidhelp,

It's not 1995 anymore.  Cassette music and VHS players are a thing of the past now.  Accept it and move on.

@haleyt88803336,

Dreamweaver is and always has been a glorified code editor with some really nice site management features and shortcuts built-in. DW can do as little or as much as you bring to the desktop.  At the risk of repeating myself, tools don't build great web apps, people do.  As such,  DW is not the only tool in my toolbox.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the last two poster agree with the assessment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think they agree with your assessment.  The first poster is frustrated that websites are not easily responsive and with editors they have to do more of the work as opposed to maybe using a template or theme for a CMS.  And Nancy's post simply stated that DW is a text editor like all code editors.  Not stating that DW is necessarily bad, but it's not the only tool being used.  And to your original post, what specifically makes it "bad"?  While Adobe may not always be active on the forums they do have a feature request form / bug report form ( https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html ) and if people don't suggest anything they can only imply that everyone thinks the product is working beyond expectation and needs no further work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW is no worse than previous versions. I have no problems using version 2021.  But from what I've observed here and in other product boards is that worshipers of St. Steve from Cupertino have more pain points from their GPU, M1 chips, Rosetta2 and Big Sur than do followers of Brother Bill from Redmond.  One option might be to get a Win10 machine and see if that works better. 😉

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few topic points at play.

1. With what Dave said - Tables are for data display not layout so Nancy was right with her comments there. If you are using tables for layout even 10 years ago let alone now - What are you doing? lol

In terms of the drag and drop solutions.. While Muse had it's time and there are other solutions to do this and getting 'better' all the time they are still drag and drop sollutions and they will only ever go so far in building a functional website. It is not even going to do something like - https://github.com/home

2. In terms of DW.. Look I will not diss it here, if it works for your setup it works for your setup and everyone has a different setup and if your working in a team environment you have to adapt into that stucture so everyone can flow in the same echo system. It is the output that matters, good code, web standards, best practices, effecient JS and CSS and so on.

Is DW a bit out dated conceptually compared to modern coding tools for what you pay for? For me - Yes. The team that developed Brackets Adobe never really followed through had the right track.

You got visual studio code - Free!, Lightweight, cross browser compatible and a million plugins to do all sorts of things to help with your workflow in coding anything from Flutter apps (Google language to make mobile, desktop and web apps) to websites, PHP, JAVA and C#,

You have Panic, one of the best Mac dev teams building very cool apps launching their new Mac based coding platform - https://nova.app/ That has one of the best terminal and transfer features taken from their app doing the same of nearly anything out there.

There is a fair bit of choice out there these days and I personally feel DW is very heavy and not quite with the times. But I also feel that is Adobe in terms of the web. Doing so much in the design space digitally and physically and is doing a lot of work in the data front as well but I do not think Adobe get's the web yet. They failed with Muse and BC trying to target the low end to much and the magento purchase is a bit bizzare for a lot of reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines