• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it necessary to put the drive and directory name in links?

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to web creation. When I check my work offline with Firefox it has to have the drive and directory included in links to find them. It seems to me that, when it goes online, this information will cause problems as it won't be present. Any comments would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Browser , Preview , Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you setup your site???

See https://helpx.adobe.com/au/dreamweaver/how-to/make-website-pt1-site-setup.html

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ben stated, you will need to setup your site.  The files you link to in HTML have to live somewhere, whether it is your own server, or another server. If the files you link to are on your server then you will see relative links to those files. However, if you have a file on another server, maybe a youtube embed as an example, then you will be linking to that remote server in your code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already, go to Site > New Site and define your local site folder.  Example, C:\MySite\.  Without this critical 1st step, DW cannot manage assets and link paths for you.

There are three types of link paths:

See the Dreamweaver User Guide for more details. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/dreamweaver/user-guide.html/in/dreamweaver/using/linking-navigation.ug.ht...

Post back if you have any questions.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. I wrote a couple of sites with Dreamweaver 3 when I was teaching but I seem to have forgotten a lot. (Old age?) Now I'm doing a simple site for my photography to stop my brain going to mush during Covid 19. Thanks again. Yes, I'm still using Dreamweaver 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm still using Dreamweaver 3."

I'm afraid that's nothing to be proud of.  DW 3 released in 1999.  Nobody should be using outdated web authoring software today.  The web has changed too much.  Use at your own risk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Dreamweaver

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have mentioned DW 3 is very old.  For a simple photography site you might be better looking into a CMS like a Wordpress and setting up a gallery to host your photography. You would probably end up with a site that is mobile responsive and with more modern code than what DW3 helped with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Behance is a free service for showcasing your creative work online.

Nothing to download & no coding skills required.

https://www.behance.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, many thanks to all for the advice. The site is now partially complete and is online for testing. There are a couple of bugs with the pages made in Web Album Generator and I can't see the reason. I'll probably delete the page and do it again. Can you believe that the only real problem I had was connecting to the server because they gave me some incorrect information! It took numerous phone calls over two and a half days to sort it out. I was about to cancel the account and request a refund when one of their techs who had only a month's experience sorted it out. (It was a security mismatch.) Ah well, I guess we all make mistakes.

Best wishes,

James Vernon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• What's the URL to your site?
  • Is your site responsive on mobile & tablet devices?  That's what most people use now.
  • Incidentally, WordPress.org is freely available, open source software.  All you need is a server that supports PHP & MySQL which almost all Linux hosting plans have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nancy,

I'm sorry about the delay in replying. It's been one of those times when life gets in the way of plans. Not the least of these have been problems with the server. When they fix a problem and say it is a permanent solution, why don't they tell you it will happen again unless you do such and such and give the information so that you can fix repetitions yourself?

My site is very basic. I checked out Wix and others that give you templates but I felt that the templates were attractive but drew attention away from the reason for the site- the photographs. Well it's up and working although I need to do some revision, eg some picture and font sizes. And I've got a drive that is almost full of pictures that still have to be put on it.

When you check it out, could you use the email link so that I can see that it works, please? I'd be interested to hear your comments.

I've tried it on my tablet and it works fine although the tablet screen is too small. I couldn't get to it easily with my phone but I did learn that there is a jamievernon.com site. I must check it out and possibly contact my almost namesake. Phone screens would be much too small to view it although I'm aware that a lot of people use them for the purpose.

All the best,

James Vernon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Nancy,

Thank you very much for your interest. I will be delighted to send you my URL. However, I would like to put another couple of pages on it first. I've rectified one of the problems I think I mentioned so I know what happened now even though I don't know why or how. It was part of an automated process in Web Album Generator. I probably won't be able to do any more until tomorrow as I'm about to go out. I'll definitely send the URL within the next day or two.

Best wishes,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to Nancy and the others who offered advice. Your comment about old software is absolutely right. However, I'm really only doing this project as something to do duringCovid19. As such, it has to be done cheaply. The site consists of an opening introductory page with links to categories of pictures. The individual albums for the categories are being created in Web Album generator. So it's really only the opening page to be made with DW3. It doesn't really justify the expense of updating. Many years ago I made a site for the school I was teaching at using Netscape. That program seems to have disappeared. In 2003 I made an online game as part of my M. Ed. course. I did this with DW3 and Photoshop CS2 or CS3. Old age is catching up with me and I seem to have forgotten a lot. Such is life! That photosite you mentioned is very good. I'll probably use it as well.

Best wishes,

James Vernon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines