• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] How to import websites from DW CS6 into DW 2021?

Participant ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at the import window and can't move forward. What must I do next?

Perhaps some file(s) have to renamed before I can import the docs from my DW CS6 website into DW 2021?  

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Did you export site settings from CS6 first?  That's the first step. 

image.png

Alternatively, you will need to manually create new settings in DW CC since you have no .ste file to import.

Once your site definitions are all set-up, be sure to sync settings to the cloud from Preferences.  In future migrations of DW CC, you can then import synced  settings from your cloud storage.  See screenshot.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried How to import and export Dreamweaver site settings (adobe.com)

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did look, but I have never heard of .ste files; there are none in my DW CS6 sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the .ste file is the Dreamweaver site definition file. When you export the settings, the extension of the exported file is .ste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you export site settings from CS6 first?  That's the first step. 

image.png

Alternatively, you will need to manually create new settings in DW CC since you have no .ste file to import.

Once your site definitions are all set-up, be sure to sync settings to the cloud from Preferences.  In future migrations of DW CC, you can then import synced  settings from your cloud storage.  See screenshot.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excuse me @BIRON Photos  if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you would like to import your site (in fact all the files, folders and documents that compose it)... if that's it... the STE files only take care of the parameters of your site, as well at the local level, as at the server level.

so if they are the actual files you want to import... open Dreamweaver, and first of all (if it is not already done) create a site (Site > New Site) create a local folder on your hard drive.

from there two methods,

1 - either you recover your site from an archive, a backup, a hard disk... etc... and you manually copy the files in the freshly created local folder...

or

2 - if your files are online, directly accessible from the web site, so in DW you create a server space from the parameters of your site (Site > Manage Site, then edit the site created previously), from the category Server, create a new server, fill in the parameters

• FTP or SFTP,
  • FTP URL,
  • Port,
  • login and password ...
  • define the root folder

for those information, if you don't have them, you need to get in touche with the provider, or your netwaork admin

you can then use the client FTP from DW, connect to the server and get all the files that will be placed in your local folder

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/connect-remote-server.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are assuming your local site folder is already on your computer hard drive e.g. C:\MySiteFolder\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think that @BenPleysier is right... if you al ready have a website in DW CS6... that do mean, that exporting STE from CS6 and then import this STE from 2021... should do the job?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does that mean?  

All of this may seem quite obvious to you, but I haven't been able to even figure out how to download my DW CS6 site settings. I am not technical but yet have managed a code-generated website for over 20 years thanks to DW. All the recommendations I've received from the support community _ I do not question their correctness, but I've been unable to implement them.  At 80, I need a step-by-step explanation, including which menus to pull down, and a video would do the trick. Surprised Adobe doesn't have archived videos to handle such issues that could bi-pass technical jargon. Unless I can get this done, I will cancel my new subscription to DW 2021 and hobble along as best I can with DW CS6 and be unable to upgrade my OS  Hope you can help. Are there people available in downtown San Francisco who could actually come over and do the transfer on my computer. I'd be willing to pay for that service. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least if I could in a detailed fashion be told how create a new local site folder with DW 2021, I could then drop into it  the content of my old website and manually type in my old site settings that I've taken screenshots of.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SCAMMER ALERT!!!

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away! Real Adobe employees will never reach out via Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail or Skype.
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't download site settings.  You get site settings directly from your web hosting provider. 

If you don't know what your server log-in is, call your web host.

In DW, go to Site > New Site and browse to your local site folder on your computer's hard drive.  Example, C:\MyWebSite\ (or whatever you call it).  See screenshot.

CC-localsite.jpg

Under the Server tab, enter your server's log-in credentials  -- provided to you by your hosting provider.  See screenshot.

image.png

If you still need help, I suggest you ask a friend or family member to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU kindly for the new screenshots which hopefully will solve the problem.

I should have said 'export' and not 'download' site settings. That export feature was not found in the drop down menus of  CS 6. Perhaps that feature was added later.

Your presumption that I have technically savy 'friends or family' is dead wrong and if that were the case I wouldn't have bothered to ask for outside help.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That export feature was not found in the drop down menus of  CS6.

===========

Export Site Settings is a tiny folder icon in the Manage Sites panel.  See screenshot.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I see.

Thanks for all your help. ut will have to cancel DW 2021 without penalty in a few days.

Biron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was able to download DW CS6 settings in file: 'BIRON.ste" which I was unable to attach here since .ste files not suppoted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please DO NOT post sensitive data in a public forum where everyone on planet Earth can see it.  It's not safe to reveal the contents of your .ste file in public.

Also not sure why you want to cancel your subscription to Dreamweaver CC.  Without a paid plan, your software will stop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about posting that .ste file name; I had no idea it was sensitive. Regarding the possibly of my cancelling DW CC, which I have never used, and continuing to struggle with DW CS6, it is because I am still unable to make DW CC operational and apparently have exhausted any further help I can expect from the Adobe Support Community.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your computer exceeds the min-system requirements to run Creative Cloud, it should work.

Check each one.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/system-requirements.html

1. Did you download & install CC desktop app?
  2. Did you restart your computer after installing?

Failing that, get a modern code editor.

CODE EDITORS:
-- Atom (free) - https://atom.io/
-- Codespaces (free, browser-based) - https://github.com/features/codespaces
-- Nova (Mac only, formerly called Coda) - https://nova.app/
-- Pinegrow - https://pinegrow.com/
-- Sublime Text - http://www.sublimetext.com/
-- Visual Studio Code (free) - https://code.visualstudio.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are not exhausted, you are just not listening.

As one nearly octogenarian to a real octogenarian, the instructions show in the link of my first reply, tell you everything. Here is the link once again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/import-export-dreamweaver-site-settings.html

If you first read under Export your site settings and then view the first 40 seconds of this video

https://youtu.be/UE1cTzqAWVc

The second part of the video shows the Import site settings.

Ans that is it, you are ready to run with Dreamweaver 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply; however, importing my site settings is no longer an issue. I discussed above that I had already done that.  However, I still have not recreated my DW CS6 website in DW 2021. Hope to be able to do that before my 2-weeks DW CC trial period expires. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to recreate anything. If you have a working site in CS6 then the same site should also work in 2021. 

As a side note, both versions of Dreamweaver will work alongside each other, the caveat being that they will not run at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agree, but exept if the DWCS6 web site use Server Behavior, Spry library component, Widgets, just some from the top of my head

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines