Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Query tablet size not stacking

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media Query tablet size not stacking

DW2017 fails to stack vertically in one column when in tablet size 700px-1080px. SmartPhone 300-700 works fine and Desktop above 1080 as well (2 cols, no need for stacking). I have tried different float, display, width. Why not in tablet?Media Query issue.png

Ingemar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Unfortunately your code is too far 'damaged' to repair so what I suggest is start over. I have produced a basic responsive code template, where your columns will stack at 768px on tablet (see code below). As an indication the background color of the 2 columns will change at 768px - you can delete the background colors from the media query, they are set just for visually purposes only.

All you need to do is feed in your required content into the 2 columns and style it. I would suggest DONT add an

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

float: none;

To clarify use the below for BOTH tablet and smart-phone devices IF you want to stack the elements vertically in both devices. No need to use another media query for smart-phone UNLESS you want to float the elements again on that device, which you presumably don't.

@media screen and (orientation:portrait) and (max-width:700px)  {
.leftside {
}
.rightside {
}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Regret to say neither tablet nor phone size works now. Before at least the phone version stacked OK. BTW the tablet max is 1100px so I tried that as well. I also tried Dw Refresh in case the cache prevents updates/ improvements.

Why did you take away float:left and width:100%? Just curious...

Thanks anyway,

Ingemar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could paste the pages code in the forum along with the css as something is not correct. The css code that l provided should work, you can test it in a new document with just the leftside and rightside containers present.

I took away float: left; and replaced it with float: none; because you want the divs stacked on tablet and smartphone and block is not needed as a div, assuming your css classes are applied to divs are already block level elements.

Incidentally there are far better methods to use now rather than float, we have flexbox and grid which are modern workflows

The media query break points l use are 768px for tablet and 480px for smart phones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Osgood,

You are certainly right in that I use old-school methods. I haven’t been using Dw for a long time and I realize I should review everything from scratch. In fact, it would be exciting to learn Flexbox, as I had a quick glimpse on Wikipedia. Meanwhile, I could manage my website with Dw2017 right now if I just could get this stacking issue sorted out. Therefore, I send the DWT in text-format and the CSS as you suggested. Thanks for having patience,

Ingemar

DWT:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Saevfors, bamboo, DRR</title>
<style type="text/css">
@Import url("../Ing22Nov.css");

.footer {
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
font-size: 14px;
color: #003;
background-color: #C96;
font-style: italic;
margin: 0;
width: 92%;
alignment-adjust: central;
padding-left: 10px;
padding-right: 0px;
border-radius: 10;
text-align: center;
}
a:visited {
background-color: #6F9;
}
.LOGO {
font-family: Vijaya;
font-size: 48px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-left: 60px;
padding-top: 10px;
}
.clear {
clear: both;
}
</style>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
-->
</style>
</head>

<div class="LOGO"> Saevfors Consulting</div>
<div class="wrapper"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="navbar_edit" -->
<ul class="nav">
<li><a href="#">Rationale</a></li>
<li><a href="#"> Contact </a></li>
<li><a href="#">Bamboo</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Archives</a></li>

</ul>

<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
<div class="clear"></div>

<div class="left_side"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="Left_side_left" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --></div>
<div class="right_side"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="right_edit" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --></div>
<div class="footer">1 June 2021 © Copy with reference to www.saevfors.se | ingemar@saevfors.se | All rights reserved</div>

</div>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Osgood,

You are certainly right in that I use old-school methods. I haven’t been using Dw for a long time and I realize I should review everything from scratch. In fact, it would be exciting to learn Flexbox, as I had a quick glimpse on Wikipedia. Meanwhile, I could manage my website with Dw2017 right now if I just could get this stacking issue sorted out. Therefore, I send the DWT in text-format and the CSS as you suggested. Thanks for having patience,

Ingemar

By @ingo9

Your page can't possibly work on mobile devices as you have no meta viewport tag included in the <head> </head> section of your page. Include the below directly after the opening <head> tag and then view on mobile devices.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1">

I assumed it was included as you say in your original post your left_side/right_side stacked on smartphone but I cant see how that happens UNLESS you are just viewing on a desktop and adjusting the width of your browser window?

If the above doesnt solve the issue can you upload the page to a server and provide a link so I can see the page in action? It's difficult just looking at an image of your main css file but at a quick glance I cant find much wrong, apart from a few peculiar css styles I've not seen before, which would suggest the css has been automated by some other program possibly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Osgood,

I have included your code in the meta tag. I supposed it could be integrated in the existing one after a semicolon; . Was that wrong? Or should I have made a second meta tag?

Anyway, the stacking still does not work and I appreciate that you are willing to investigate a full page from my website, for example www.saevfors.se/contact.html   All pages except the index.html (named Rationale) are based on the template Saevfors_temp_May 2021.dwt with the meta tag. This platform does not accept *.txt files apparently so I have to paste the text in full here below.

I have now made only one Media Query for both Phone and Tablet supposed to stack vertically up to the 768px limit.

I attach again the CSS with the last updates.

Again, thanks for your support,

Ingemar

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"; name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1"/>
<title>Saevfors, bamboo, DRR</title>
<style type="text/css">
@Import url("../Ing22Nov.css");

.footer {
width: 92%;
alignment-adjust: central;
padding-left: 10px;
padding-right: 0px;
border-radius: 10;
}
}
.LOGO {
margin-right: 0px;
margin-left: 60px;
padding-top: 10px;
}
.clear {
}
</style>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
-->
</style>
</head>

<div class="LOGO"> Saevfors Consulting</div>
<div class="wrapper"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="navbar_edit" -->
<ul class="nav">
<li><a href="#">Rationale</a></li>
<li><a href="#"> Contact </a></li>
<li><a href="#">Bamboo</a></li>
<li><a href="#">Archives</a></li>

</ul>

<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

<div class="left_side"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="Left_side_left" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --></div>
<div class="right_side"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="right_edit" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --></div>
<div class="footer">1 June 2021 © Copy with reference to www.saevfors.se | ingemar@saevfors.se | All rights reserved</div>

</div>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately your code is too far 'damaged' to repair so what I suggest is start over. I have produced a basic responsive code template, where your columns will stack at 768px on tablet (see code below). As an indication the background color of the 2 columns will change at 768px - you can delete the background colors from the media query, they are set just for visually purposes only.

All you need to do is feed in your required content into the 2 columns and style it. I would suggest DONT add any more css to the responsive template as without good css coding knowledge you will easily 'damage' the existing css and it will become unresponsive again. Link a seperate css stylesheet to the template and use that to style the content in the column.

NOTE: I have obscured your email address xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx in the code to prevent bots harvesting it in the forum so you need to reapply your correct email address.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"; name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1"/>
<title>Saevfors, Bamboo, DRR</title>
<style>
* {
box-sizing: border-box;
}
body {
background-repeat: repeat-x;
font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size: 18px;
font-weight: bold;
background-color: #8EBC48;
color: #FFF;
background-image: url('http://www.saevfors.se/Images/Home_page_bckgr.jpg');
}
/* Logo */	
.logo {
width: 95%;
margin: 0 auto;
padding: 20px 0;

}
.logo h1 {
padding: 0;
}
/* Wrapper */
.wrapper {
font-size: 20px;
color: #000;
width: 95%;
background-color: #FFF;
margin: 0 auto 0 auto;
}
/* Navigation */
.nav {
list-style: none;
background-color: #9F0;
}
.nav li {
display: inline-block;
min-width: 8em;
padding: 8px 15px;
}
.nav li a:link, 
.nav li a:visited {
background-color: rgb(204,153,51);
color: rgb(85, 85, 102);
display: block;
padding: 5px;
text-decoration: none;
font-weight: bold;
border-radius: 3px;
-webkit-box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px 3px rgba(43, 43, 77, 0.5);
-moz-box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px 3px rgba(43, 43, 77, 0.5);
box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px 3px rgba(43, 43, 77, 0.5);
margin: 0 0 0.2em 0;
}
.nav li a:hover {
background-color: rgba(255,153,0,0.8);
color: rgb(43, 43, 77);
}
}
/* Left side */
.left_side {
padding: 10px;
float: left;
width: 48%;
font-family: Gotham, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
color: #000;
background-color: #EFEFE0;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: 300;
}
/* Right side */
.right_side {
padding: 10px;
float: right;
font-family: Gotham, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
color: #333;
background-color: #EFEFE0;
font-weight: normal;
width: 48%;
}
/* footer */
.footer {
padding: 15px;
}
/* Clear floats */	
.clear {
}

/*Smartphone and tablet*/
@media screen and (max-width:768px){
.left_side{
width: 100%;
background-color: yellow;
}
.right_side{
width: 100%;
background-color: #00aeff;
}
}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<div class="logo"><h1>Saevfors Consulting</h1></div>
<div class="wrapper">
<ul class="nav">
<li><a href="index.html" >Rationale</a></li>
<li><a href="#"><span class="focus"> Contact</span> </a></li>
<li><a href="Bamboo.html">Bamboo</a></li>
<li><a href="Archives.html">Archives</a></li>
</ul>

<div class="left_side">
<p>Left content goes here</p>
</div>

<div class="right_side">
<p>Right content goes here</p>
</div>

<div class="footer">1 June 2021 © Copy with reference to www.saevfors.se | xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx | All rights reserved</div>

</div>
</body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers to layout questions are contained in your HTML and CSS code.  Post the URL to your online page please.

Meanwhile, please tell us why you're still using an outdated version of DW from 2017?  The current release version is 2021? 

We don't use floats anymore.   As @osgood_ said, there are better ways of building responsive layouts now with CSS Flexbox and/or CSS Grids.  If you're using Bootstrap's responsive framework, Bootstrap uses Flexbox, not floats.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines