• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My website doesn't change when I make the changes on Dreamweaver

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a website at http://www.lesserknownmanga.com/ . I added the Google analytics Global site tag to my source code on Dreamweaver and "put" it onto the server, but it's not working. I also made edits to the website's words, but I can't see those changes either. I contacted my hosting server and they said no problems on their end. What should I do now?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're using a .DWT Template in Dreamweaver, so I have a couple questions...

1. After you made the change to the .DWT Template file, did DW prompt you that it would update all the pages attached to that Template? (If you weren't prompted, your child pages were either created incorrectly, or have somehow become detached from your Template file)

2. If you were prompted that the site was updated, did you then upload all of your now modified pages to the server? (uploading the Template .DWT file to the server will have no effect, it's only used locally by DW)

3. I see capitalization and spaces in your file names. Spaces are not allowed under HTML 5 and should be replaced with hyphens or underscores (do this from the Files window in DW and the program will re-link your files automatically).

Capitalization could be causing an issue because, on your local operating system, INDEX.HTML, index.html and Index.Html would all be the same location. On your server, those are typically three individual files receiving updates separately. It's best to use lower-case alpha-numeric names to avoid accidentally causing bad links and/or uploading to duplicate locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes, the pages were all updated when the template was changed. 

2. As you can see below, the files were html

Ashley24083939qtbp_0-1650289074044.png

3. Can you please eleaborate on this point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file "Manga.html" and a link to "manga.html" aren't typically talking about the same thing on your server. While a link called "manga.html" will go to your "Manga.html" page locally, on most servers, it would throw a 404 File not Found error because the case structure needs to match exactly.

Without knowing your workflow, it's possible to accidentally save multiple files on the server when updating, some with mixed CaSe StRuCtuRe and others without. As for the spaces in file names, they are no longer allowed under the HTML 5 doctype. Names like "Light Novels.html" should be changed to something like "light_novels.html" as a safer naming convention these days.

...all that aside, Nancy may be onto something, especially if you're working with Chrome. It likes to hold on tight to cached data, so to verify you have the latest files from your server, in Chrome...

1. Hit F12 to open the Developer Tools panel
2. Select Network from the top menu bar of the Developer Tools panel

3. Place a check by Disable Cache
4. Load your web site (leaving the dev tools panel open)

If it's still wrong, it could be an FTP error is occuring in the background.

1. Go back into DW and go to Window > Results > FTP Log
2. Try to upload again.
3. Let us know if any error is appearing in the FTP log and we should be able to help you get going

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My FTP Log looks like this. Is this what it's supposed to look like?

Ashley24083939qtbp_0-1650357241601.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to put my files on the site and here's what some of the FTP log looks like

Ashley24083939qtbp_0-1650358063047.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refresh your browser's data cache memory.  Or use another browser.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your site properly defined and pointing to your server's Root Directory?  See screenshot.

CC-RootFolder.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Ashley24083939qtbp_0-1650420373122.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your URL is https://lesserknownmanga.com/

I think you're uploading files to the wrong location because you have expressed public_html twice.  Once above and an unneeded second time below in the URL.

This is from BlueHost Knowledgebase:

https://www.bluehost.com/help/article/publishing-with-dreamweaver-cs5#setup

image.png

Try uploading with FileZilla s/ftp client.  If you're still unable to upload files using FileZilla, contact your host.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must connect from tool Dreamwaver to you hosting then when you save file at Dreaweaver will update and upload file to your hosting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must connect from tool Dreamwaver to you hosting then when you save file at Dreaweaver will update and upload file to your hosting. 

============

That is not true.  DW does not automatically upload files to server on SAVE unless you change your settings to enable it. 

Automatic upload on SAVE is a BAD practice for many reasons as accidents happen, even by experts.  Replacing good files on the server with bad ones could be catastrophic.  Always test files first in local browsers.  When you're sure they are fit for use, upload with Ctrl + Shift + U.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines