Nav bar for website has disappeared

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have an account with godaddy for our domain and web hosting. Our webhosting was updated and after the update the nav bar was gone. We use adobe contribute (Yes I know it is discontinued) to keep our page updated, we use dreamweaver very little but our site when built in the late 90s was coded. In our index page (Home page) this is the code for the nav bar

<td><!--#include virtual="/includes/nav.php" -->

I can't seem to edit this line of code...

I have never done this before, we are a not for profit organization completely volunteer, and I was handed this, the person who use to run the site is no longer with us. Any assistance at all would be helpful, I just need the nav bar back. Any questions please ask, I will try to give as much as I can.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your hosting plan support PHP code?

What is the index page's file extension?

See below for correct PHP server-side include syntax. 

<?php include("/includes/nav.php");?>

To parse includes on PHP supported servers, the parent document should have a .php file extension -- index.php, not index.html.

That said, some hosting plans will allow you to parse includes in .html files but only if you amend your .htaccess file.  When your server was upgraded, maybe the old .htaccess file was reset.

If the non-profit site is really 20+ years old, it's overdue for a re-build anyway.  Are you planning to switch to WordPress? Do it sooner rather than later. 

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would agree with the other comment about trying to get something simple up in Wordpress or another CMS to move this over.  Can you share a link to your site?  Or if you don't feel comfortable publishing you can send a message to me with the link I can take a look at what's going on first hand for you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines