• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not sure what it is called

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay have been away from things for a while. I want to be able to point to an area on an image that when ia mouse goes over the area a non persistant display is shown of the text on the picture. The main picture is an large timeline that if I do an enlarged image it isn't really best for people to be able to read the text. I know there is a map for image.that can create a popup with a new browser window. Since there are 9 columns I really don't want to go that way, but could. Doing a popup message is again a situation where people have to click to close the popup. Plus people block popups. What I would like is something like the image below. When you roll over the GitHub hyperlink a preview of the page is displayed. That isn't what I want, but it is the look I want. When you move the mouse the display goes away. So again 1 need 1: when mouse over an area of an image want a message either typed material or a small image is displayed. So a onMouseOver event 2. Then on exit the display goes away with user doing nothing but moving mouse. onMouseOut event 3. A non modal display without buttons or border. 4. Something that doesn't make the user have to have popups allowed. 5. A picture with many many areas going to an different "popup". So the question. What is what I want to do called? What is the easiest and less impact on the site size. Thank you. I have attached an image that I am looking at, but not associated with a link.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're looking for a "tooltip script", a search in Google will give you tons of options, most with step-by-step instructions on how to add it to your page.

<Devil's_Advocate>
Have you given any thought to how this will work on mobile devices though
Over half of internet usage is now on mouseless devices...
</Devil's_Advocate>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A default browser tooltip might be all you need.  Nothing fancy, no special scripts required.  Simply add a title attribute to your markup.

HTML CODE:

<p><abbr title="World Health Organization">WHO</abbr> was founded in 1948.</p>
<p><a href="https://developer.mozilla.org" title="Free Web tutorials">Mozilla Developers Network</a></p>

RESULTS:

WHO was founded in 1948.

Mozilla Developers Network

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think a single tooltip is what the OP requires on account they say they want 'many many areas going to a different "popup"' on a large image, which suggests to me they have to use a number of hotspots on the image to achieve what they require OR split the large image into slices and use single tooltips on those slices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still possible to add title="tooltip text here" to image map hotspots.   However, old fashioned image maps are NOT responsive.  But this is.

https://jsfiddle.net/NancyO/6k3v4ge1/21/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's probably going to be a better suggestion/option to the OPs original question unless the image in question is an actual image, in which case an svg format isnt a good solution. If its a graphic then it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines