• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Alert! Alert! - WIX Take Over!

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had someone take-over a website I had managed for a number of years, they've done it in Wix......looks passable on desktop but hideous on mobile. Wix seems to feed something else on mobile, I have no idea what though........but that is besides the point.

My real question is:

What this person has done is changed the DNS record in the Control Panel, where the old website was controlled, so the domain now points to the Wix named servers. As this is a dead project for me now I no longer want to maintain the hosting/server/control panel. If I get the current host (where the files used to be hosted) to kill the hosting/server/control panel does this effect the changed DNS record or will it still point to Wix?

As an aside note, I'm pretty much pleased I'm largely out of this now. I got rid of a number of 'unproductive' clients a couple of years back and maintained about 15 websites to manage. However since the pandemic 8 of those have disappeared, 5 completely rebuilt their websites via one means or another (most with something like Wordpress or now Wix), 3 I think shut up shop.........phew I don't think I could make a living now doing this even IF I wanted too, seems most of the low-end stuff is now done though Wix, Weebly, Wordpress etc.

How times change. I'm begining to wonder myself now if coding is only for high-end projects and apps, that's where the skill and the money seems to be these days!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Domain Names are typically handled separately from hosting.  If you're the least bit concerned, you can move domain name administration to another registrar before you turn off the old hosting plan.   Network Solutions and Namecheap have a good reputation.  Not too sure about Wix. But it might be better for the client to have it all in one place. 

https://support.wix.com/en/article/transferring-a-domain-purchased-elsewhere-to-wix

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Domain Names are typically handled separately from hosting.  If you're the least bit concerned, you can move domain name administration to another registrar before you turn off the old hosting plan.   Network Solutions and Namecheap have a good reputation.  Not too sure about Wix. But it might be better for the client to have it all in one place. 

https://support.wix.com/en/article/transferring-a-domain-purchased-elsewhere-to-wix

By @Nancy OShea

Yes, I'd rather be free of it now I'm no longer involved in managing the website and could be the option but Ben has bought up a good point, which went over my head, they still, I think, gather their email through the current server, so will address the issue nearer to when the hosting plan is up for renewal. If they lose their email then its their problem not mine, they are on their own now or in the hands of the Wixer, my support and advice has stopped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar situation where I closed the website at the end of the paid subscription date. Received a very angry email about two weeks later that their personalise demail address no longer worked. Explained the situation to them and they threatened to take me to court for not explaining this to them before I closed the account. 

All ended well after the MX records were changed (not by me).

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben,

Very interesting and yes I overlooked that their email, I think, still currently goes through the email server so I had better leave it and address the issue when the hosting plan comes up for re-newal in April 22.

Gets a bit messy sometimes when you suddenly find you're no longer really involved other than hosting the website, which really provides little in the way of financial return to even be bothered about.

I guess maybe one reason why I should not have let them have access to the CP in the first instance but they wanted to do something which was beyond my skill which they ended up messing up, but I couldnt really deny them access if they requested it. I don't mind at all clients moving off after several years but it would be nice to be kept in the loop! What is annoying they tend to end up with a worse solution than they already had BUT a cheap solution I guess, which is what it is all about these days!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, this is the reason why, for years, I have separated the management of hosting from that of domain names.I leave the management of the domains to the customers, or to the partners, depending on the nature of the projects.

Domains allow a clear separation of the proprietary, administrative and technical management. Therefore, the owner is free to assign the technical access to the provider of his, or her, choice... so the technical provider (the one who received the access codes) is free to point the DNS to the appropriate servers of his choice, those could be one of my servers (if they wish to maintain our collaboration) or to the servers of choice of the new provider (developer / host)

the customer, who has no competence in this type of management, in fact has nothing to do... every year, two years, three years... depending on the type of contract with the registrar (for my part I work with gandi.net), he, or she, receives an invoice to pay (generally the technical provider is also in copy), and he, or she, also has in his, her, possession, a URL, a login, and a password that he, or she, can give (if necessary) to the developer provider of his, or her, choice...

it's very simple, efficient, and everyone is happy, no one is taken hostage by anyone, it is a real collegial and democratic management linked to the competences and autonomy of each one

I've been doing this for nearly twenty years, and through the multitude of projects I've seen, I've never had any problems, and yet, the keys have often changed hands

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, I really never wanted to get involved to be honest with domain names/hosting as there has never been any money in it but its a service at the low end of the spectrum which I think clients expect, the whole package. But you are right I would have far preferred in my career just to concentrate on coding the website.

I've been considering for a couple of years, as I was coming to the end of my usefulness, what the best way is of getting the domain names I control into the hands of their rightful owners. Some which I control arent even listed in Nominet (they manage the .uk names), they offer a transferal service for a small fee if its listed!

Oh well what will be will be, it will resolve itself/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines