• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search in only files by a given extension/file type.

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get Dreamweaver to only search in php files or another given file type, ignoring all other file types?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the files that you want to search. For more options see https://helpx.adobe.com/au/dreamweaver/using/find-replace-text.html

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have to trawl through the site selecting each file I want to search? Not what I'm after. I want to select the file type, which in my example was PHP but could be CSS or JS or other, then search the whole site. Most sites I have have several folders and going through each one and selecting files would take more time that doing a search through all files. e.g. a search for a class name could bring results in PHP, HTML, CSS, JS but if I know it's in a PHP file I don't need DM to search those other files and clutter up the search results pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the option is not in the Help file, then it is not possible at this moment. To change that, submit a feature request

clipboard_image_0.png

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as Ben propose you, the only way I know currently is to ask for a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
A feature request has been made. Thank you all for your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm almost certain you could do this with Regular Expressions. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested in the way to go to ask the search expression to look on the filename ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe something like this

([a-zA-Z0-9\s_\\.\-\(\):])+(.php)$

I'm RegEx challenged.  So I sent a PM to WoflShade.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but didn't the search field search only into the file content, and not in the file panel... ???
I believe, or at least I think, that the OP wand to search specific content in certain file type... not contnet that contains filenmae using php extension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct specific content in a certain file type. Notepad ++ has this feature and it's called "Find in Files" which has a filter that can be, for instance, set to *.php and you then select the directory that you wish to search in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep you're right, personnaly I use Sublime Text, it also allows negative search in file type

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Threads I am replying to are not being saved. Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, Dw does not have the ability, via RegEx or any other way, to specify searching in only a specific type of file.

I just looked (Dw CC2018) and there is a drop-down option for "Selected Files In Site", which is close.

The only other thing I can think of would be to open all of the files you want to search and use the "Open Documents" selection.. it will search only the documents currently open in Dw.

Sorry I'm not of any more help than this.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep I have posted many times bug about it, and features request concerning filte type management, (first time in Macromedia age) but so far, since CC, the only orientation are, and stay, live view editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines