• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selectors is grayed out when trying to edit css

Explorer ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a page using bootstrap and started a new css file so I could customize it. Everything was going fine and I wanted to see what my page was looking like so I clicked the icon to view my page but then when I went back to editing, I could no longer access the CSS selector. It's grayed out.

I've highlighted the section under source code that I want to add style to and I'm in Live view but since the selector is grayed out, it doesn't see the css file I started. I don't know what to try to get my editing ability back.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

You're not required to make folders for your site assets.  I do it because it makes site management easier for me when things are organized.

Crashes can be caused by errors in your code.  Check your code often and fix reported errors.

CC-BugReport.jpg

CC-validate-doc.jpg

I think yo're having trouble with Real-Time Preview.  You can bypass it.  Simply right-click on an HTML  file and select Open in Browser.

CC-Preview-in-browser.jpg

When working in Live View, save often (Ctrl+S) and refresh with F5.

If you continue to have crashes, Restore Preferences.

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Never mind. I think I figured it out. I was on "all sources" and when I clicked current, I got the selector option back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still seem to be having problems with being able to access the selectors so I can edit them. It keeps getting grayed out and this time I still am trying to edit my current css file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working in a defined local site folder?  Example, C:\MyTestSite\

CC-localsite.jpg

Go to your Files panel (F8) and click on your CSS file to open it.

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding what you're asking, then yes I'm on a defined site and I can see my files under files. Am I supposed to save my custom css file in the css folder? I didn't do that but then it's been like hit or miss as far as having the option to work with my custom css file. It works for awhile and then if I leave the page to look at my site, I can't come back and do any more editing.

I'm also having an issue with the program crashing on me. That was my last problem and now I can't edit the css file again.

CS6 seemed so much easier.

I started off using the trial version and had multiple crashes so I figured it might have something to do with that but I've since purchased the annual monthly version and it's still crashing and still giving me problems editing a custom css file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not required to make folders for your site assets.  I do it because it makes site management easier for me when things are organized.

Crashes can be caused by errors in your code.  Check your code often and fix reported errors.

CC-BugReport.jpg

CC-validate-doc.jpg

I think yo're having trouble with Real-Time Preview.  You can bypass it.  Simply right-click on an HTML  file and select Open in Browser.

CC-Preview-in-browser.jpg

When working in Live View, save often (Ctrl+S) and refresh with F5.

If you continue to have crashes, Restore Preferences.

Unusual behavior in Dreamweaver? Try restoring preferences.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines