• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shift + i causes "paste" instead of letting me type a capital I

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the title says, I've been plagued by the somewhat well-known bug that causes Dreamweaver to handle the key stroke "shift + i" like the "cmd/ctrl + v" command. I don't know what caused this, but it has persisted throughout various updates. Whenever I try to write something that contains the capital letter I, Dreamweaver instead pastes the contents of my clipboard into the current cursor position.
The only temporary workaround is to copy a capital I somewhere else and then paste it in my Dreamweaver document. This only works as long as there's nothing but the capital I in my clipboard, of course.
I've seen people discuss this bug in some forums and the solution was to edit an xml file, but I'm not comfortable changing the core settings of Dreamweaver just to fix this weird bug that no one else in my office is experiencing.
Has anyone else experienced this?

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it for now by deleting the regular paste shortcut (cmd + v) and re-adding it. We'll see how long it lasts.

Still though, any idea what might cause this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find this in the keyboard shortcuts? I do not see a regular paste option -- only "Paste Special...". I am in Keyboard Shortcuts > Menu commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only seen of this bug on the Mac side before and as you eluded to it requires you to edit the files.  Unfortunately sometimes things happen that are specific to an individual machine and might not be replicated even in an environment with images being pushed to machines for a corporate install as the use of the computer varies from user to user causing odd corruptions like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[TOPIC BRANCHED & MERGED WITH SAME QUESTION.]

I did not change any keyboard shortcuts and I have looked to see if Shift-I was set to paste but alas, zip! 

How can I stop this behavior?  Every time I want to do a Capita; "I", I get a copied item.   HELP!  I am at a loss!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This occurs on the DEFAULT KEYBOARD.  When I select a new set of keyboard shortcuts, the Shift-I gives me an upper case "I".  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows or Mac?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dumb me.... I have an iMac

p.s. THANK YOU BIG TIME for the help collapsing folders!  I finally figured it out and it works great, saved me hours!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried:

- Editing the XML file

- Reinstalling Dreamweaver
- Changing Shortcut Sets

NOTHING WORKS!

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Carter1234,

Common keyboard shortcuts are baked in to your computer's operating system.

Windows / Mac Keyboard Shortcuts:

Copy = Ctrl / Cmd + C

Paste = Ctrl / Cmd + V

Cut = Ctrl / Cmd + X

Undo = Ctrl / Cmd + Z

and so on...

Keyboard mappings using a PC Keyboard on a Mac:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/keyboard-mappings-using-a-pc-keyboard-on-a-macintosh-d4fd8...fcde-08ffe95faea3

Changing Keyboard Shortcuts in Dreamweaver

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/extend/changing-keyboard-shortcut-mappings.html

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines