• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple way to link multiple pages within a site.

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a site which will eventually have a large number of pages with scroll down menus for links. Is there a way to have Dreamweaver convert the links automatically for new pages so I don't have to write out an extensive amount of script every time I finish a page?

So you have a better understanding of what I am trying to say, here is a link to my homepage.

The Society of Beato Giacomo of Bitetto, Italy

TOPICS
Code , How to , Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless your site is dynamically-driven and tracked (i.e. using a server-side language or a base like WordPress, etc.), there is no way to have Dreamweaver (or any other IDE) automatically populate your menues/navigation with new page content...

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what has been said about implementing a CMS to help with this, having super long or large menus may not provide the best UX to the end-user.  As your site grows, you may want to consider alternative ways to link to those pages or maybe interactive elements to make searching for a particular event or year of an event as opposed to larger menus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you with PHP?

There's nothing built into DW that can do this for you, but you could use a relatively simple PHP script to list all of the pages in a given directory and add links to them, so any time you upload a page to a specific folder, the menu automatically sees and adds the file for your viewers.

Something along these lines could probably be modified to fit what you need: http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/How-to-list-all-files-in-a-directory-using-PHP.php 

If the menus get too long, it may be better to link to a page that has a list of files, more like the link above, than to have a difficult to scroll (especially on mobile) huge pop-up list. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can dynamically create your menus from a client mechanic by using Javascript.
you could set up a JSON file of type

[
	"menu1" : [
		"submenu1" : { "label":"Label for menu 1", "link":"pagelink.html" },
		"submenu2" : { "label":"Label for menu 2", "link":"pagetwolink.html" }
	],
	"menu2" : [
		"submenu1" : { "label":"Label for menu 1", "link":"pagelink.html" }
	]
]

and then you can set up the various menus in each page using DOM scripting... that way you will just have to add lines on the JSON object when adding pages

you point to the site thesocietyofbeatogiacomodibitetto.com . would this be the menu in the form of a black banner? if you tell us more (or confirm) about the type of menu, sub-menus you want to set up, we can generate a piece of code for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines