• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Site down due to overload of SQL resources

Engaged ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a first for me. I have received an email from a client whose website has been taken down due to an overload of SQL resource in a shared hosting account. I will have to look at the database in phpMyAdmin and try to see what's going on.

The site be reviewed before it is allowed to be put back online. Link spamming may be the culprit, but the site is not a Wordpress blog. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site traffic may warrant upgrading to a better, faster hosting plan. 

Or perhaps inefficient scripts are causing too many SQL queries and/or redundant database connections.

https://support.infinityfree.net/limits/mysql-overload-limit/

Profiling MySQL Queries with phpMyAdmin

https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/profiling-mysql-queries-with-phpmyadmin--net-12687

Speed up MySQL Queries 300 Times.

https://opensource.com/article/17/5/speed-your-mysql-queries-300-times

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never personally come across it before and all my clients websites are on shared servers. Does this website attract a large volume of hits? If so maybe it should be on a dedicated server and not a shared one. The story probably goes the client wants everything as cheap as chips. If it is a website that attracts a large volume of hits then it is probably using more than its fair share of server calls which are allowed or set on shared hosting, so has effectively been throttled, penalised.

Dont waste time, just tell your client straight, we need a better server, a dedicated one or better hosting plan, this will cost more, pay for it or pay the concequences of not paying for it - go somewhere else if you dont want to listen to a voice of experience because I cant be bothered dealing with a cheap skate. In my experience its never worth it, you'll only give yourself  a bigger headache than what you need.

Go for it - you get way more respect from clients because you are being honest and positive. When you mouse around with clients they take control, you should be the one in control and advising them, they have no experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turned out to be link spam created by fake user registrations (6,000 and counting) as well as link spam left on a forum installed on the CMS but not deployed (70,000 or more) which bloated the database size to larger than 1 gigabyte. I added ReCaptcha which for some reason I forgot to do and disabled the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It happens. There's really too much to think about when producing even a simple website these days and little time to think about everything in terms of what you are usually getting paid to produce the job. Producing websites these days are a job for a team, not an individual anymore, they've becme far too complex and need dedicated skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines