• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Site manage list disappeared - Mac

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My site manage list disappeared. I'm on a Mac, and found old posts suggesting to get the older 'Site Prefs' file from my Time Machine backup and replace it in the current same folder - where everyone was relieved that it worked for them, but this file trail doesn't exist after the 'Adobe' folder - and a Finder search for 'site prefs' comes up with nothing. (Macintosh HD:username:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Common:12.0:Sites:Site Prefs)

Is there an updated way to fix this? Maybe newer location to get the same backed up info as the old Site Prefs file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, you just accidentally provided me with a huge lead on a really bad problem I've been having with Dreamweaver sites. Thank you so much! My Site Prefs file is full of bad data that corresponds exactly to a terrible mixup with my sites. I'm trying to get Dreamweaver to regenerate it.

If you're still having trouble finding those files in time machine you might just need to try again

user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/SomeNumber/Sites/Site Prefs

The folder can have any number as a name, just look for the newst one. On the other hand I've discovered that deleting these files completely did not cause my site data or manage sites menu any trouble & dreamweaver did not regenerate a new one. I'm going to try a full shut down/restart & see what happens before I go searching for alternate locations for this data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I restarted the machine dreamweaver did indeed forget all the site data. When I remade the sites Dreamweaver regenerated the Site Prefs file. I was unable to find any other location where this data is stored or backed up. Have you checked if it is backed up in your Adobe Cloud?

Just a small heads-up. On my imac 10.14.6 with Adobe CC 2019 I can enter Time Machine & see the full path to the Site Prefs files. Is the "Common" directory missing on your machine or only the numbered directories below it? None of these files or directories appear to be hidden by default & it's likely that you would have more than 1 numbered directory in that folder with older Prefs.

Maybe check the trash or search the time machine drive manually (not through the time machine app).

I wish I could help more because you really just saved me a heap of trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the years, I've made a habit of exporting my site definition settings and saving the STE files to external locations.  If/when my site definition settings go missing or become corrupted, I can easily re-constitute by importing saved STE files.   See screenshot from Manage Sites panel.  

clipboard_image_0.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out and was able to get the file from Time Machine! My problem was that the correct 'library' folder was hidden - therefore also hidden in Time Machine. Using this link, once working out language translations of the screen shots from vilmoskörte's post, I found all of the hidden library folders.: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/62402/how-to-restore-hidden-library-folder-in-time-machine

Matthew, I searched further because I knew I had to be missing something, as you said the files were clearly there. 

Nancy, I've now saved STE files for all of my sites in case I ever need them. I didn't know that was an option. 

Thanks to you both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Good. My pleasure. I should have mentioned that the top level library folder actually IS a hidden folder. You can set your mac to always show hidden files & folders. There are three good methods in this very simple article: https://setapp.com/how-to/show-hidden-files-on-mac I always keep hidden files visible for a number of reasons. It's slightly annoying at first but I find it's best to know whats going on. You'll be able to see that hidden files & folders start with a . and appear greyed out in the finder but everything underneath looks normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines