• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synchronise stopped working

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else experienced FTP errors with recent updates?  Last weekend I did an update to a website that I manage and Dreamweaver is giving me all sorts of connection failure errors when I try to upload the changed files.  It doesn't matter if I use the live server or the test server.
Nothing has changed with my hosting server and I can access the FTP server using Filezilla.

I don't have an SSL Certificate for the site as it is an information only site for a music club that does not collect people's data or sell anything.

TOPICS
Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

It was a simple directory issue in the end.  Either my hosting service FTP server or Dreamweaver changed the way it referred to the upload directory.  All I had to do was truncate the upload directory in Dreamweaver to /web/ from the full path that was stored in the site file.  As I say it was a recent change.  My hosting service changed to an apache server about the same time as the Dreamweaver 2020 update, and I'm not going to agonise over whose fault it was my connection was interrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use synchronize.  I always use the UP arrow in my Files Panel to transfer files to remote server. 

• Expand your Files Panel and compare the date & time stamps. 
  • Clear your browser's cached data to ensure you're not looking at a cached version of the site.
  • Try creating a new site definition, the old one might be corrupted.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally would never use or trust synchnorise to a live site... That my IMO.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, SSL certificates should be on your site regardless of whether or not you are selling anything.  Even Google search is performed in SSL just to keep data transmitting private and this also impacts your search results.  This is not to say you need a paid certificate like a store would have, but a free option that most hosts offer like let's encrypt is a viable option for free.

To other's points below, synchronize may or may not be reliable due to its nature.  So if you are using a CMS for instance (ie: Wordpress), then you would not necessarily want to sync as the live server may have data via updates that would cause your local and remote versions to be out of sync.  With that said, what sorts of connection failure errors are you receiving?  Knowing the specific error could help us to point you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just connecting to the remote server, I get an FTP error telling me that Dreamweaver cannot open the server folder: the file may not exist or there might be a permissin problem.

I get the same error opening the site setup for the live server.

None of these problems happened before last weekend.

Using FileZilla with the same credentials, it just takes me straight to the containing folder, and clicking on the folder shows all the files where they should be.

I only use synchronise because that was what my suck it and see approach to learning how to use Dreamweaver worked out first, but I only use it in put newer files mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest upgrade vers 21.0 which came out a few days ago?

Be sure to restart your computer after the upgrade.

Also which operating system do you have?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was a simple directory issue in the end.  Either my hosting service FTP server or Dreamweaver changed the way it referred to the upload directory.  All I had to do was truncate the upload directory in Dreamweaver to /web/ from the full path that was stored in the site file.  As I say it was a recent change.  My hosting service changed to an apache server about the same time as the Dreamweaver 2020 update, and I'm not going to agonise over whose fault it was my connection was interrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines