• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Taking Over a Site created in CS4. It's badly damaged and I need help with the Problems.

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In resurrecting this site I'm seeing collapsed pages where templates have been.  I can't create new pages, and I can't add to or otherwise modify existing pages.  Need to take one problem at a time.  Anyone game? I've been away from this for three years and everything is rusty.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Dreamweaver CS4 is legacy software from 2011.  It is no longer sold or supported. 

Chimay10  wrote

In resurrecting this site I'm seeing collapsed pages where templates have been.  I can't create new pages, and I can't add to or otherwise modify existing pages. 

If your site was template driven and  it is no longer working as expected, in all likelihood  the template contains code errors and/or corruptions.  Validate code and fix reported errors.  See links below.

The W3C Markup Validation Service

The W3C CSS Validation Service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you really need to hire a consultant, offline!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great.  Try to find one that doesn't want to redo your site in WordPress, or who knows anything about Dreamweaver in CS4.  This is a last resort. Hoping for something better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a reason for that. I created plenty of sites back in the day with DW. I use nothing but WordPress today and fired a couple of clients who didn't want to move out of the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Site? What application are you talking about? InDesign does not create websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great response and you're right.  Site was created in Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chimay10:

Since this has nothing to do with InDesign, I'm moving your post to the Dreamweaver forum.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver CS4 is legacy software from 2011.  It is no longer sold or supported. 

Chimay10  wrote

In resurrecting this site I'm seeing collapsed pages where templates have been.  I can't create new pages, and I can't add to or otherwise modify existing pages. 

If your site was template driven and  it is no longer working as expected, in all likelihood  the template contains code errors and/or corruptions.  Validate code and fix reported errors.  See links below.

The W3C Markup Validation Service

The W3C CSS Validation Service

For more meaningful answers, we need to see the code.  Upload your template.dwt file and a child page spawned from that template to your remote server.  Come back here and post the URLs so we can see what you see.
Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Nancy. I’ll give you feedback as I proceed.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines