• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble downloading my html dreamweaver files to Bluehost

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't updated my website in years .  I used many falsh animations on my website which are no longer supported in Google.  Using my Dreamweaver CS5 I updated one page with with a number of jpeg (72 dpi) and used clickable hotspots on these images.  Years ago (when I last updated mywebsite) the format I used in Bluehost was different for updating web pages.  Calling Bluehost web support they had no idea how to update my html files with jpeg backup images.  I also used FileZilla years ago  to post to Bluehost but there format/procedures are very different now.  Can anyone help me as to how to update my website either directly in Bluehost or through FileZilla? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

I'm not going to sugar coat this. 

1. Asking your hosting provider to build a web site is like asking a plumber to perform open heart surgery.  That's never going to work.  Your web host is not a web developer and building sites is NOT their job.  

2. Your concept is not workable as a website. Just a few reasons why:

• Images are eye candy, NOT a replacement for real HTML content. 
  • Image maps aren't responsive.  They don't work for the majority of people on mobile and tablet devices. 
  • Search en

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating your pages and uploading files are two issues that we should tackle separately.

For the connection issues are you getting an error(s) in Dreamweaver/Filezilla when you try to connect.  If so, what?  This issue will likely need to be resolved with bluehost as its possible the connection settings may be different.  Then could have switched to a secure SFTP or FTP(e)s solution in which case they should be able to provide you with those details to connect. In some cases changing settings will work in the FTP client, but it all depends on your error.

For your webpage, moving from Flash to image maps in a responsive world may not be the best solution.  For this I would recommend posting a sample page that we can go see, and provide you with recommendations on how to update your site for the modern web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyonecandraw - front page.jpgEveryonecandraw - front page 1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This what I am trying to set up on BlueHost (with detail of the long image).  I made it look like a table top with the sketch book, photos, and each image on the book is clickable (I copied what I am trying to do into photoshop inorder to show you what I am trying to do).  This is the main part of the front page.  Here is what my front page looks like now, the images are clickable directing you to some of the other pages.    https://everyonecandraw.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In bluehost I was able to up load my files,  I couldn't organize them so that my front page (html) could follow the path that I set up in Dreamweaver.  And what I did upload did not show up on my internet website.  Calling this last Sunday the Bluehost Tech support says (3 different indivuals - two were on the typing chat) said they were not trained in html issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to sugar coat this. 

1. Asking your hosting provider to build a web site is like asking a plumber to perform open heart surgery.  That's never going to work.  Your web host is not a web developer and building sites is NOT their job.  

2. Your concept is not workable as a website. Just a few reasons why:

• Images are eye candy, NOT a replacement for real HTML content. 
  • Image maps aren't responsive.  They don't work for the majority of people on mobile and tablet devices. 
  • Search engines, screen readers and language translators can't "see" anything in images. This will be no better than your Flash site which as you know is unusable now.

I think it's fair to say that you have no idea what the modern Internet requires from you.  Maybe because you've been away from it too long or possibly because you never learned proper methods.   In any case, you do need modern tools and a working knowledge of HTML, CSS and to some extent JavaScript code. Because without understanding code, it's unlikely you'll get the results you're hoping for.

Read the chapters, do code exercises and take quizzes at the end.
- https://www.w3schools.com/html/
- https://www.w3schools.com/css/
- https://www.w3schools.com/js/

Failing that, hire an experienced web developer to create your site.  Or try an online site building platform with tools and hosting rolled into one convenient to use package.
-- Squarespace - https://www.squarespace.com/
-- Webflow - https://webflow.com/
-- Wix - https://www.wix.com/

Good luck!  🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Nancy for all your suggestions. They are much appreciated and helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines