• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating a dreamweaver template directly on the remote server

Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tile is descriptive. Is it possible to do it? does it have some extra steps? If I do it locally, I have to update all the pages based on that template and then upload aaall of them again to the server.

I experimented connecting and opening directly the uploaded template, remotely on the (remote) server, will it also make update the uploaded pages atuomatically as if I worked locally, but on the server? I didn‘ get success. Did I do something. wrong?

Sorry, it‘s a ver old legacy site. Thanks a lot.

TOPICS
Extensions , How to , Interface , Other , Publish , Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

DWT files drive an internal DW mechanism... so if you put DWT on the server, and if you modify them directly on the server, it won't have any possible interaction with DW... so it's a slam dunk, it won't modify any of the child files from that template.

The only way to get stuff done, is to modify the DWT locally from DW, so your child pages will be updated, and you will have to transfer them all to the server...

If you don't want to be linked to such heavy update on each modifcation, I am afrai

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWT files drive an internal DW mechanism... so if you put DWT on the server, and if you modify them directly on the server, it won't have any possible interaction with DW... so it's a slam dunk, it won't modify any of the child files from that template.

The only way to get stuff done, is to modify the DWT locally from DW, so your child pages will be updated, and you will have to transfer them all to the server...

If you don't want to be linked to such heavy update on each modifcation, I am afraid that that you will have to use another templating mechanism, like SSI, PHP, Mustache...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... if you modify them directly on the server, it won't have any possible interaction with DW...By @B i r n o u

Yeah, I thought that maybe my host provider still keeps the Drteamweaver extensions and they are able to do that “mechanism of DW”. For current sites I am using SSI, yes. On the other side, I would like to know more about why Adobe is still keeping the DW templates. Is there anybody who uses it, besides me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Birnou mentions, this is not possible with .DWT files, it's simply not the way they work.

To do what you want will require some rewriting to your site, using server-side includes, here's how to create them with a couple different methods...

PHP: https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_includes.asp

SHTML: https://www.yourhtmlsource.com/sitemanagement/includes.html

The main thing to keep in mind with both methods is that the include files themselves contain only the html of a section of a page and not an entire html document. For example, a menu system within the <nav> tags only (not including the <head>, <body> or any other html outside of the navigation). That include code would then take the place of a small include snippet written into your content pages when the server hands the page to the viewer.

Once created, you would only need to update and upload the include files and the server would take care of the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Server-Side Includes instead of DW's proprietary Templates.  This will save you many hours updating site pages because all the magic happens on the server.  Also SSI's will work with any code editor.  DWT files only work with Dreamweaver.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. But I keep a site of almost 10–15 years ago which code is simply a big disaster and the fastest way to make updates in few minutes, is to just go for the DWT, while I make all a redesign and of course with PHP, Bootstrap and responsive feautures.

However, I am curious to know who else, besides me, is still using DWT? Why is Adobe still keeping them? just for legacy or tradition? or to help to the end user, the non-technical consumer with the drag and drop culture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to with this extension

Now NodeJS/Express which has a great templating system.

https://youtu.be/ee4iwQpUQ2U

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still use template DWT. As I said in an other thread, some site are 10000+ files and it workds like a charm.

Well, in anticipation to the opposite remarks, I point out that by these words, I am not recommending and imposing their use, but just to say that it works well, that it sometimes requires patience, and that the use of variables, conditional and other subtlety of templates, coupled with the elements of Library, Marcomedia had at the time proposed a tool of templating very advanced and which still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see that DW templates are still more used than I thought. Yes, those still work. It‘s just desperating for me to see everytime when I update a template, the progression box showing me the “updating file1.html, updating file2.html, updating file3.html...”, the overlapping “tooltips” turqueise, white blue and yellow to mark the regions of editing (repeated or optional), edit attributes I never understood. I remember I create a master template and then, > two nested templates, one in spanish, other in english... when I learned PHP, thanks to @Nancy OShea suggestion, years ago, I found a marvel in all ways. Just learn PHP, MAMP and the basic things involved.

Maybe there are designers who prefer this “spagueti” overlapping graphics, typical of the design view, if they accostumed to that and what is important, effective for what they do, go ahead. For me, I just found better way (for me). Also, in a group of Facebook, I am still suggesting the use of DWT for people who scare to the coding and server issues.dw-template-spanish.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious to know who else, besides me, is still using DWT? Why is Adobe still keeping them?

==========

I haven't used DWT templates in more than a decade, not even for client sites.   I don't need them.

DW keeps the feature to support legacy users and amateurs which represents their core user-base.

Serious coders don't use Dreamweaver anymore except for site management.  😏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Serious coders don't use Dreamweaver anymore except for site management.  😏

By @Nancy OShea

Should I deduce that I am not a serious developer. in itself it is not a big deal, because each day I learn that I must continually learn and question myself... in fact by thinking to develop applications, it is the so-called developer who develops him(er)self

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Present company excluded. 🙂

If you look around you won't see many serious coding questions here anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's the story of the glass half empty, or, half full... let's not look at the void... let's stay focused on the still full part ...

so, it depends on where one places the cursor, what one expects, and then , after all, we are not on a forum that is developer-oriented... 😉

Anyway, those last weeks, there were still many ideas, and questions about the algorithmic approach that could be held and which necessarily open the door to substantive debates, look, recently there have been, some RegEx, TXT to CSS, building a CMS, some at the level of WP templates, the use of DWT... it's now up to us to open, to extend, to propose.... and talks about

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines