Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

URL Found for Word .htm but not for Excel .htm

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I am new to DW and am encountering an issue uploading a .htm file created from an Excel sheet to my office's web page. 

The functional old method: information was saved as a Word doc, re-saved as a .htm file that overwrote the previous day's .htm file, and then drag and dropped into WinSCP over the .htm file that feeds our web page. Word documents continue to transfer to .htm, to the remote server, and onto the web page as anticipated, regardless of what the Word doc contains.

The non-funtional new method: the entry of the same data now requires an Excel spreadsheet. I can resave the Excel sheet as the same .htm file, and prior to uploading, I can get the Excel web page to open on its own in Explorer as desired. When I drag and drop the same .htm file over to the WinSCP server (?), it indicates that the file has indeed been replaced. However, unlike the Word doc that then spits the text to our web page, the replaced Excel file only generates a "The requested URL was not found on this server." error onto the web page.

Given that I'm dragging and dropping the exact same .htm file from the same drives and into the same locations, I'm assuming the error has something to do with how how .htm files are formatted differently between Excel and Windows data? Anyone have any insight into what's going on or how I might get DW to import an Excel-based .htm file on to our web page?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these methods would ever really be recommended.  I'm not even sure what this really has to do with Dreamweaver.

Are you sure you were just renaming a file from .doc to .htm? Changing file extensions can cause very unpredictable results and/or corruption.  Typically when I've heard this scenario in the past, you are in Word/Excel and save as HTML from that program and then upload the HTML.

If you want to share a link to the file online for us to see errors, you can, but I fear that this is likely corruption and you need to save us.  But the bigger question for this issue is how to break the cycle of trying to export from Excel to the Web and why you need to do this.  That to me is what needs to be fixed because the HTML that is being generated from those programs is not mobile friendly and  could end up being a very poor experience for your audience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. 

I agree that this isn't the best way to get data from a website, input it in to formulas in Excel that spit out various forest-specific risk indices, and then relay those risk ratings back to offices across 2 states worth of districts (ideally someone would write code to pull daily data from the website, calculate the ratings, and feed them directly to the web page), but I am not a coder, nor do I write the processes. I've simply been tasked with getting the read-only tables generated in Excel to our web page. Given that I can't change the ask, any ideas?

I assumed this had to do with Dreamweaver as DW was necessary for my coworker to put these indices (previously from a Word doc format) on to the page, and it's the attempted pathway through DW that seems to be the hold up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said before, you won't be able to simply rename the excel file into .HTM as it will cause corruption. Have you tried doing an Export from Excel to save as HTM from within the program and then uploading that HTM over your old version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I wasn't simply renaming the Excel sheet, I was using the Save As function from within the application. This produces a .htm file that opens up as a fully functional web page in various browsers (Chrome, Edge, and IE) and that rewrites the .htm file referenced by DW, but that won't translate to the web page for some reason. I'd attach said file to demonstrate if I could, but ironically enough, this page won't allow .htm attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us what is happening online and link to that file that is not rendering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with Ben on this. If the thus created file is functional, then what function does an authoring tool like Dreamweaver have in the process. Just upload the HTML version of the Excel sheet; there are plenty of FTP clients that will help you out.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Without a URL to your online site, it's impossible to guess what may be going on.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines