• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

View vertical ruler Dreamweaver 2021 MAC

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, might sound like stupid question but I only see horizontal ruler.

How do I view vertical ruler? I cannot see anything in menus for rulers at all.

Many thanks,

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Answered my own question. I need to be in Design View Mode!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answered my own question. I need to be in Design View Mode!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are trying to create pixel perfect heights, I suggest enlarging your html text by 5, 10 and 20 pixels  to see if your design falls apart or not.

The height of your page is determined by your content and by the user's browser settings. Things that look great when your html text is held to 12px, or 1.5em, or 14vh have a habit of blowing apart when zoomed in on, in order to help those viewers with less than perfect eyesight read the page.

Don't rely on height remaining static online, it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adamovitch,

Just curious, how is a vertical ruler of any benefit to you in web design?

I've never needed a vertical ruler for layout.  Positioning elements on web pages with pixel perfect precision is not possible. Web pages are not a fixed sized media like a sheet of paper.  Web pages are flexible.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

I am recoding web pages to make them responsive but without changing appearance of existing desktop version.

Therefore I need to ensure all content is positioned identically both horizontally and vertically.

I first tried to apply media queries to existing code but that failed miserably.

So I decided to code from scratch using Bootstrap. I am a novice and having some problems sizing the columns to achieve my goal. Do you think this is foolish approach? I know it depends on the content but don't really want to redesign, just make it look better on mobile devices.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responsiveness is NOT about appearing the same on all devices. It's about performing well on all devices.  Two different things.

Unfortunately, trying to make an old desktop layout look & work exactly the same on small devices is fool's folly.  It will never work exactly the same because users interact differently with mobile and touch screen devices.  Also we can't predict what size devices, which browsers & browser settings, fonts and text sizes people will use. Those are unknown variables that we can't control.  The best we can do is build a mobile-first layout in single column that extends to 2 columns across on small tablets, 3 columns on medium devices, 4 columns on large devices and so on... 

Bootstrap is a good tool for making responsive sites.  The 12-box grid system is logical and works well for sm, md, lg and xl devices without tedious custom coding or manual media queries.  Bootstrap's built-in classes will save many hours of development time and yield good results for the widest range of device users. 

Bootstrap Documentation:

https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap4/

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.6/getting-started/introduction/

Post back if you need more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Apologies as I didn't word my reply very well.

What I meant was I'm happy with the way it currently looks on desktops, I just want it to look good on mobiles, tablets etc. 

Thanks for the links, will explore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, but what worked on desktop a few years ago probably won't work well on mobile in 2021.  Making sites mobile-friendly entails much more than just "how it looks."

Example, links should be finger-friendly and adquately spaced for easy access by an adult finger tip.

Radius of Adult Finger Tip PadRadius of Adult Finger Tip Pad

Google has a mobile-friendly test and user experience reports to help you improve your site.

https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines