• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Website programming languages - PHP, Node and Bootstrap [from: including one html file in another?]

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now a more traditional old fashion method, using PHP includes....

so for understanding the principle

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.include.php

and adapting it to the content of the pages

https://www.phptutorial.net/php-tutorial/php-include-file/

there too I hear the rumbling of the base... at least on the old fashion aspect </joke>

By @L e n a

No rumblings here. php is still the easiest/simplest and most popular of server languages and its easy to learn. In the majority of cases its all you are likely to need rather than bulging your website folder up with a lot of bloated node modules that you have zero idea what they do. Gotta luv the new breed, they have no idea what they are using or what it does so long as it does it, makes be want to cry or die laughing at the complex mess they create and get themselves into. I guess its all about trying to salvage some kind of reputation that web-development needs to be overly-complex to work!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the majority of cases its all you are likely to need rather than bulging your website folder up with a lot of bloated node modules that you have zero idea what they do.

By @osgood_

From this, should I deduce that Apache/PHP does not take up space? And that the supporting files, that do not take up any space, are well known what they do?

BenPleysier_0-1657411618606.png

Just to be clear, you can tell me exactly what "access_compat_module" does.

Gotta luv the new breed, they have no idea what they are using or what it does so long as it does it, makes be want to cry or die laughing at the complex mess they create and get themselves into. I guess its all about trying to salvage some kind of reputation that web-development needs to be overly-complex to work!

By @osgood_

I guess that the only ones that are laughing are those that are stuck in the past. As far as the complexity is concerned, as we in this forum keep saying, use the right tools. A hammer alone does not build a house.

The following is a example of a website that has a template that automatically populates the common parts of a page, as requested by the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee4iwQpUQ2U

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in my website folder............thats the difference. Now if node was similar and you didn't have to jump through hoops just to set up routing, didn't have to jump through hoops to set up the file, folder structure that YOU wanted, didn't have to jump through hoops to import the modules required for node to be of any use........l just might take it more seriously. I dont believe in making things more complex, harder or more bloated than they actually should be or need to be.

As for stuck in the past does that refer to you too? Bootstrap doesnt even support css grid......consider that.

I totally agree when you say use the right tools, it's surprising how many dont and proceed to make it complex.

Still to be honest the ever increasing popularity of Tailwind is driving me nuts. Can anyone with experience explain how it can possibly be enjoyable  to work with code which has multiple inline css styling, front end framework directives, backend directives, svg code bloat, dozens of css and script tags attached.........grief its must be a total nightmare. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier_0-1657442769654.png

I gues this image covers it all

BenPleysier_1-1657442844754.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not real css grid, it's some hacky alternative built on css grid with a twist (lm not sure what the twist is though) where's the options like the named areas etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like we are way off topic once again. Time to stop here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That happens when no answers can be found. Anyway enjoy the rest of your day/night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@osgood_ wrote:

As for stuck in the past does that refer to you too? Bootstrap doesnt even support css grid......consider that.

A few things on this statement.
1. With your leading to the world of package managers and compillers and how it is a bit of a mess - With you there. Are all of them bad and being properly modular bad - I would say yes to being stuck in the past a bit there.

2. I contribute to Boostrap. Boostrap has outlined why CSS grid has not been introduced yet and its very obvious. CSS Grid is far from finalised. Even flex changed quite substantially and Boostrap suffered from those. Not making the same mistakes with CSS Grid is important. CSS grid still has some critical flaws despite how amazing it is which are being worked on. Sub Grid for example came due to some of the early issues and not perfect. It is there and for micro sites, cutting edge promo sties etc - Sure. For something for business, grounded - Your better with Flex for consistancy, comptability etc still at the moment. This is why not just Bootstrap do not have CSS grid baked in yet and why CMS's do not exactly support it yet, why many new web applications do no tuse it yet etc.

I am at least glad no one here suggested iFrames 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bootstrap is traditionally 3 years behind the curve, let's be honest. Any decent developer was leveraging the best of flex before Bootstrap got anywhere near it and that is what's happening now with Grid, any decent developer is using it as the majority is stable, right now....so l don't buy into the neatly concealed truth in your post as to why Bootstrap isn't at least in the  ball game in terms of the most up to date worflows. It's pretty obvious whys it's not and it's nothing to do with stability of a workflow it's more to do with a 3 or 4 year period of release. It's always going to be playing catch up. Meanwhile it tries to appease developers by including something experimental built on css grid with a twist. Ben obviously thinks it's the real deal according to his post, that's a Bootstrap die hard for you though , always economical with the truth.

Further more editors such as Pinegrow, Webflow have css grid as an option. Whether or not its their own particular take on css grid l don't know, but it's not experimental and is available by default. Grid is 97% globally supported by browsers according to 'can l use.  Bootstrap is off the pace, slow on the uptake is all l can think of and even slower to get anything out of the door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@osgood_ wrote:

php is still the easiest/simplest and most popular of server languages

Yes but I would say only because of Wordpress and Facebook. Take those away and it would be 4th/5th.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use that argument for most situations. Would Bootstrap be as popular if you took into account how many amatuer web developers use it. It is what it is, you only have to Google what's currently the most popular server language which runs the majority of websites on the Internet. The figures suggest it isn't going to change anytime soon. Last time l looked node hadn't even reached 2% market share, whist php had something like 78% market share, a huge gap.

What l object to in terms of developers using overly complex solutions is when they aren't necessary. It seems the mentality these days is to start  by deploying  npm packages and json package files for some simple static tutorial which only uses html, css and vanilla javascript, that's just overkill. And of course all the mugs that follow that tutorial follow suit which eventually gets us to where we are today, a lot of bloat and complexity for no gain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are getting confused; NodeJS is a runtime environment, PHP is a pre-processor language. The two cannot be compared.

Maybe not  all websites use NodeJS, that is a matter of choice and knowledge of the developer. But NodeJS is so much more than a website, just Bing the subject.

Want more? Try running Dreamweaver without NodeJS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Both php and node are backend environments and are very much often compared in that context. It don't matter what fancy names you apply to them, another gripe of mine, so many  modern workflows are given elaborate names where the meaning gets distorted.

Of course not all websites use node, very few actually,  just as not all websites use php, python, etc. Youre right it's a matter of choice as to what to use, which the web developer has to decide, hopefully based on their knowledge, not just following a trend.

I don't need to Google node, l know what it is, PITA, 

<joke>

Ps I wouldn't run Dreamweaver, now that is stuck in the past, we can surely agree on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines