• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What happened to the web safe color picker?!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be when I opened the color picker and clicked on the "hex" option, it would give me swatches of web safe colors. Now it just gives me the same interface as the RGB one. Most of the time, I just want a basic red, gray, black, white, etc., but now I have to hunt and peck for the right color.

Anyway to get the simple swatches back?

TOPICS
Interface , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

It's a round-about way, but you could use the same color picker to store up to 13 color swatches in the upper right corner: 

Annotation 2019-12-04 200752.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the CSS code hints for color swatches.  See screenshot.

image.png

Back when people still used VGA displays that only supported 256 colors, we needed web safe colors.  These days, everyone has  support for 16+ million true colors.  So web safe color swatches are irrelevant.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color picker is actually pretty handy... Instead of hunting for a hex code, try typing in the exact color name you're looking for:

Annotation 2019-11-21 170956.jpg

CSS names work too:

Annotation 2019-11-21 171242.jpg

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great if you know the name. But I don't think you can type in "purple that's not too dark and kind of bluish"...

Swatches still exist in Photoshop, so why not in DW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a quick reference you can use https://htmlcolorcodes.com/color-names/ to see some of the most common names.

When I need a quick & easy larger color picker, I hit Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=hex+color+picker, or use Dreamweaver's Assets: Color Panel and/or CC Libraries to store the colors I need.

And do keep in mind: Dreamweaver isn't a graphic design tool... 

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And do keep in mind: Dreamweaver isn't a graphic design tool... "

Exactly. And that's why it should have a simple, basic color picker for CSS, not an advanced one.

Maybe there's a way to install a palette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've often thought that might be useful but I don't know any editor which offers a css swatch panel or full css color picker. Seems just right for any extension developer but there is probably an obvious reason why there's not much appetite, maybe no money in it as you can go direct to an online css color picker. Still it didn't stop some editors introducing a font-awesome icon panel rather than one having to go out to their website to search for icons, I can think of 2 who have done that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a round-about way, but you could use the same color picker to store up to 13 color swatches in the upper right corner: 

Annotation 2019-12-04 200752.jpg

Hope this helps!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines