• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is planned for Dreamweaver Development

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know what the plans are for developing Dreamweaver?  There a several reasons we continue to develop our website, which is now well over 4,000 pages, which 10s of thousands of assets.  Moving to another platform where I cannot have the control we do with Dreamweaver is something I am not looking forward to if we are forced to go there.  But, I would like to see some improvements made to the platform.    Where can we gain some visibility on the development cycle that is planned for Dreamweaver?  Is there a way to upvote new feature sets that are planned or being considered?  Thanks,  Jason

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but there are no plans to extend or add new features to Dreamweaver at this point in time. Adobes official line is  - it's being 'minimally maintained', mainly bug fixes. Reading between the lines its reached 'end of life' unless Adobe would like to expand on the meaning of 'minimally maintained'. No-one from Adobe will officially tell you when end of life is going to be announced. Currently Dreamweaver is a good enough editor for most amatuers that have no requirements to keep up with new evolving trends, so I suppose it still has a few years left in it for them and is why its being 'minimally maintained'. Professionals, well most have deserted Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Osgood.  We have looked into using CMS tools, but haven't found anything yet that is as efficient or as flexible as using Dreamweaver.   We have a very solid foundation of strong SEO strategies that we cannot afford to mess up as it drives more than 60% of our inbound quote requests.  We are a global brand that is expanding every year.   

Do you have any CMS solutions that you would recommend we consider? What are your favourite go to solutions?

Thanks,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any CMS solutions that you would recommend we consider? What are your favourite go to solutions?

Thanks,

Jason

By @jasonr42881881

Well I'd probably use Wordpress if I was going to choose an off-the-shelf CMS. But in the past I've written most CMS's myself as I only deal with small local companies, not global brands, so maybe they need something more substantial. However if you are currently using DW to produce and maintain 4000 pages, without any database, then Wordpress would be far superior to manage the amount of information you have. I cant believe that though, you must be using some kind of CMS already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Wordpress just for our blog section, the rest of the site is Dreamweaver.  We are expanding the site to mirror what we have in English.  (Spanish, French, German).  Our Spanish and French sections are a few hundred pages each and we haven't started German yet.   We also using Clickfunnels for our membership site and sales funnels.  But the bulk of our work is done in Dreamweaver. By end of this year, we will be well over 5k pages with our current plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our quote forms post to a MySQL db, but we are not pulling anything from the DB like a CMS would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our quote forms post to a MySQL db, but we are not pulling anything from the DB like a CMS would.

By @jasonr42881881

5k pages, mostly created in Dreamweaver sounds insane to me but if it works for you........

Surely you're using php or another server language to update the common parts of the website, like the navigation, sidebars, footer etc......please don't tell me you are using .dwt templates??? It wouldnt be a first though, someone else who posts in this forum heavily relies on .dwt templates for bulk processing. .........hmmmmm!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not use any .dwt templates.  Side navs, header, foot etc are all common elements we are using includes for.  The site is PHP.  Thanks Osgood for the feedback, appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workflow inefficiency is costing you time & money if you're not pushing content from a database.

The tasks I complete in a few hours with CMS would take several days to do manually.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, right now we are repurposing content from InDesign to PDF and PHP pages using good old copy and paste....... but by not using templates,  I can handle everything I need for SEO.

Wordpress would be a more viable solution if I could open more than one page at a time and it wasn't so slow.   

Other than AEM which is out of our range, what other CMS solution do you recommend?  We were also looking into Magento

Thanks Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that one piece of content is used in one location 99% of the time.  So any solution needs to first integrate with InDesign to gain any level of efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than AEM which is out of our range, what other CMS solution do you recommend?  We were also looking into Magento

By @jasonr42881881

Magento IS currently owned by Adobe I believe so be careful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, I realize.     I am an Adobe fan, so am good with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built my custom CMS (PHP & MySQL) with some help from commercial extensions by WebAssist.  I didn't want an elaborate CMS, but it needed to be tailored to our needs and flexible enough to adapt in any direction when the needs of our business changed.

In all it took about 1-1/2 months to build.  I started with the database logic and then programed the backend & front end site.  Once that was operational, I deployed it online & tested it.  It took two of us about 3 weeks to complete the data entry as we had no data files (CSV, Json or XML) to start with. If we'd had some data files, populating the database would have been a snap.  But it gave us an opportunity to really test the CRUD system and refine areas that needed improving.  So it was all good.

Obviously building a CMS from scratch isn't for everyone.  But it can be very rewarding.

WebAssist MySQLi (improved) Extension

https://www.webassist.com/dreamweaver-extensions/mysqli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sharing this Nancy, I will dive into this a bit more.  Appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote Where can we gain some visibility on the development cycle that is planned for Dreamweaver?  Is there a way to upvote new feature sets that are planned or being considered?

By @jasonr42881881

===========

No path, no feature requests. Dreamweaver is in minimal status mode.  The only updates are security and compatibility patches.  That said, there is nothing precluding you from continuing to use Dreamweaver for site management and code editing alongside other tools.

A 4,000 page site is unsustainable without a database driven solution and CMS.  A business with 10,000 assets would definitely benefit from a Data Assets Management (DAM) system like Adobe Experience Manager.

https://business.adobe.com/products/experience-manager/adobe-experience-manager.html

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy for the reply.  We are reviewing Adobe AEM, that would be the ultimate goal, but the price tag is 50k USD annually.  It would be great to get to that at some point, but the timing is just not there yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, I meant to mention that we run Adobe Analytics as well as GA4 on the site and up until a year ago, were also using Marketo, but the connection with our ERP system was discontinued, hence the move to Clickfunnels and Active Campaign for our sales funnels and Marketing Automation solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wappler is Dreamweaver on steroids.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben, I will check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines