• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the simplest FREE CMS available for my client to make edits to the web site I created?

Participant ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've been Googling about with no real success. My client has been using CushyCMS to make edits to content on the site I created. It appears CushyCMS is no longer running. Both the client and I have been unable to edit, we just get an error code.

Is there a simple CMS solution out there? Nothing fancy, just enough for the client to make the occasional update.

Thanks for any guidance,

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cushy CMS.  You add special tags to your HTML document.  All content within those tags is editable from Cushy's online editor.

https://www.cushycms.com/

I must caution you about editing.  The server file changes when edited.  You must not replace it with your local files.  If you do, all the client's edits will vanish.  So be careful. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nancy. That's what my client has been using. I even had a page I used to update a bit with CushyCMS. Neither my client nor I can seem to access our pages there now. I wonder if CushyCMS is no longer a thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may help:

https://issitedownrightnow.com/status/cushycms.com

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one problem with a lot of people on Dreamweaver.

How it works and how it is editing content pushing in a static manner through a "try to do it all" editor making people think this is a CMS.

It is NOT a CMS, neither is it a modern code editor in many respects as well.

A CMS - Content Management System is something like what Adobe's Business Catalyst was, Wordpress (although I hate it for so many reasons), Enterprise solutions like Kentico or others like Umbraco and others like Contentful, and the more basic (and I hate them but saying for context) click drag ones like Wix.

In terms of which one. It is all down to your skills and needs. If your doing an eCommerce site it is not free but Shopify is an option and all self hosting. 
That is the next key step. Are you look for SAAS or not. Software as a solution means a CMS that is hosted. You can do varied changes and code development (Depending on the platform) and they manage the server hosting, often the CDN service etc.

Or you have your own server, your local to live development etc.

Then what can you code in?
PHP, JAVA, C# (.NET), Liquid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Liam Dilley

Shouldn't JavaScript head the list, as in NodeJS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Liam Dilley

Shouldn't JavaScript head the list, as in NodeJS?

By @BenPleysier

Nope, it's a matter of choice. Maybe Liam is not one of those trendy noddy oiks who likes to make things more complex than needs be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quoting from another post:

Problem is some posters don't provide all the right facts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a link to what your site looks like today if the site is still online?  Also have you tried reaching out to them since this is a paid solution.  If you are fearing they might not be in business anymore or paying attention, you might be able to do something quick in Wordpress or another CMS to migrate.  It would be slightly different from what you had, but at least it would let them edit it again.  The only thing to consider is if the site was hosted by CushyCMS you might need to update your domain to point to new hosting that you control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines