• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what will become of Dreamweaver if Brackets lower the curtain?

Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've been looking for a while on the forum, but I don't see anything about it...
I think the link says enough in the header?

http://brackets.io/

Does anyone know more? Did I miss a great turn?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to reassure you that Brackets' EOL does not impact Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver maintains its own fork of Brackets and any fixes or enhancements will be maintained on the fork that Dreamweaver has.

Regards,

Narayani

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats madness Brackets had the potential to become a great editor but once again Adobes lack of commitment to producing a competitive web development tool and poor decision making held it back. 

Maybe once its open sourced someone will pick up the baton, give it a shiny new interface and tweak it about a bit, especially get rid of the Adobe propriotary code crap in live view (no serious developer wants to see or use that rubbish).

In some respects its a much better editor than Dreamweaver for those that can code without the aid of 2 crutches. I would have paid a fee for it if it had evolved but nothing has been seriously updated in years, a familiar story when Adobe and web development tools are involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that they tell users to move to a competitor's free app, with absolutely no mention of DW, says volumes.

I'm not going to stand on the corner with a "The End is Nigh" sandwich board for DW or anything, but...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @B i r n o u ,

I have seen this coming for quite some time, a future version of Dreamweaver, will roll out with the Monaco Editor .

This does not herald the end of Dreamweaver (yet).

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What will become of Dreamweaver if Brackets lowers the curtain?

==========

@B i r n o u,

Do you want the red pill or the blue pill?

I liked Brackets a lot until Adobe let it languish.  And later when Brackets was integrated into DW and we began to see Code Mirror's limitations at formatting code properly, something had to give. So this move doesn't surprise me at all.  When Business Catalyst, Experience Manager, XD and Extend Script told customers to use an outside code editor (VS Code) instead of Adobe's own Brackets or Dreamweaver, the message was clear.  Adobe had lost faith in their own code editing tools.  Now that Brackets is axed, maybe Dreamweaver will last long enough to reach its 25th anniversary next year.  Or maybe that's just the "blue pill" talking.  🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, wrong link. This is the correct one for Monaco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is done IMO .... They wasted all that development time too integrating Brackets ionto Dreamweaver and making a mess of it too....

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you all for your answers, and for your participation in this thread.
In fact I was throwing a bottle, here on this forum but also on the alpha, to see if someone from Adobe would come and bring an explanation, an information.
Nothing, and that's distressing, even to the limit of disrespect.
In any case, thank you for coming to bring your vision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see if someone from Adobe would come and bring an explanation, an information.

When has anyone from Adobe discussed why and when? That's part of their ongoing downfall, unless they are prepared to offer their customers a definitive road-map and apply what they discussed in that road-map in an acceptable time then customers get p****d off and find other options. They are the architects of their own down-fall for being so silent and not being able to or wanting to touch base, for some reason, with their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, as Nancy explained in another thread, I was lulled by the idea of the blue pill, but I'm affraid, that you are completly right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to reassure you that Brackets' EOL does not impact Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver maintains its own fork of Brackets and any fixes or enhancements will be maintained on the fork that Dreamweaver has.

Regards,

Narayani

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the original question, and it was not me who marked this answer as correct
it's true that I expected another answer than this one... I expected an argumentation, not a rhetorical discourse that we can only accept blindly... in France the joke... would be something like,"Don't worry... we handle it"... in fact yes... I worry, I see the way Dreamweaver is managed... I worry... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how this is going to go well,...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the original question, and it was not me who marked this answer as correct
it's true that I expected another answer than this one... I expected an argumentation, not a rhetorical discourse that we can only accept blindly... in France the joke... would be something like,"Don't worry... we handle it"... in fact yes... I worry, I see the way Dreamweaver is managed... I worry... 

By @B i r n o u

As you know, all moderators and Adobe Staff can mark a correct answer. I assume that in this case it was the Staff member who did so and with good reason. We have been fishing for an official reaction and this is it; Brackets is the editor for Dreamweaver.

This is rather surprising, I share @Paul-M's view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I marked it correctly answered.

I did so because this is an official reply from an Adobe staff member.  Like it or not, the official word is the only answer we're likely to receive.  No offense to horse lovers everywhere, but there's no sense in beating a dead horse here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that leaving the answer as unresolved is considered beating a dead horse.
At least, it leaves the questioning open.
I personally don't consider Adobe to be answering the question, this answer at most confirms the very existence of the question itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@B i r n o u,

I'm not sure what the problem is.

• When it comes from Adobe, it's a correct answer 😉 
  • This topic isn't locked.  People may keep participating in it if they choose to. 
  • And in case you didn't know, these topics can have more than one correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you have crystal ball and can see into the future I would suggest you have no idea.....

Talk is cheap, nothing has happened with Dreamweaver of much note for years, most of what has happened has brought with it untold issues (bugs, performance problems etc) and then wasted resources trying to correct all the problems caused ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A response to no-one in particular BUT I'm intrigued why participants in this thread still use Dreamweaver IF they are so unsatisfied with its lack of clear road map and ever decreasing progress.........all I can assume is they feel its better than anything else they have tried............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...all I can assume is they feel its better than anything else they have tried

=============

@osgood_,

Agreed. For me, DW's site management features are still unrivaled by other code editors.  Nothing else I've tried compares with it.  That's why I keep coming back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, DW's site management features are still unrivaled by other code editors.  Nothing else I've tried compares with it.  That's why I keep coming back.

By @Nancy OShea

How would Dreamweaver handle a NodeJS project running its own server?

BenPleysier_0-1616370739125.png

The `public` folder is the site root.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which IDE will allow me to handle databases (list, add, delete, update) within the program? No need for PHPMyAdmin, Navicat or similar.

BenPleysier_0-1616371691856.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which IDE automatically handles Routes with the ability to modify these manually?

BenPleysier_0-1616372138447.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which IDE automatically handles Routes with the ability to modify these manually?

By @BenPleysier

Which IDE keeps introducing bugs each time it's updated weekly. The amount of time you save in development is offset by the amount of time spent bug hunting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which IDE will allow me to handle databases (list, add, delete, update) within the program? No need for PHPMyAdmin, Navicat or similar.

Php storm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines