• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrap multiple lines in individual tags, simultaneously?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My job is currently having me transcribe a lot of works in public domain to web pages, to keep on our media server. This largely has me wrapping several hundred things in <p> and <li> tags each day, and I'm looking to improve my workflow.

I know there must be some function in Dreamweaver like this, but I can't figure it out and Google is failing me and only showing me things from 2006. For example, I want to take this:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

and turn it into this:

<li>Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,</li>

<li>And sorry I could not travel both</li>

<li>And be one traveler, long I stood</li>

<li>And looked down one as far as I could</li>

<li>To where it bent in the undergrowth; </li>

Without me having to highlight every line, one at a time, and type li into the quick tag editor. It's time consuming, especially when I get to 50 chapter novels like the tales of Don Quixote (wrapping paragraph tags around each line took me several days).

HTML Kit Tools does this, shown here, in two clicks:

Creating lists, simple to advanced options - YouTube

Please, please tell me there's a way for Dreamweaver to do what's shown in this video.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

I fully understand what you are looking for..... I'm not sure Dreamweaver (coupled with Emmet) can handle it easily... at least every time I've tried and searched I've never found a way to handle it...

maybe I missed the technique to get there and if someone can give it to us, like you I would be interested....

Anyway, I use Sublime Text for everyday coding and this tool manages this feature very simply and very quickly as you can see on this movie 10.25.2018-17.27.33

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  a écrit

this is the kind of problem which could be solved by an extension or simple apple script if the editor enterains them. Now this kind of script or extension IS really useful

this extension exists and is called Emmet... arf arf... https://emmet.io/download/ .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

this extension exists and is called Emmet... arf arf... https://emmet.io/download/ .

Arf arf? do you read a lot of comic books?

Actually, the extension cannot be installed because it is not signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  a écrit

Actually, the extension cannot be installed because it is not signed.

but it is already part of DW... ... of course using a bad integration, but that is an other story...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think all web apps have the option of evoking the emmet little pop up field do they? I might be wrong but in php storm for instance you would select alll the text and hit a couple of short cut keys which pops up the emmet field into which you would type p* to surround each line in a paragraph tag. Ive got several other web editors l use which have emmet installed but lve yet to uncover the short cut keys to perform the procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  a écrit

I dont think all web apps have the option of evoking the emmet little pop up field do they? I might be wrong but in php storm for instance you would select alll the text and hit a couple of short cut keys which pops up the emmet field into which you would type p* to surround each line in a paragraph tag. Ive got several other web editors l use which have emmet installed but lve yet to uncover the short cut keys to perform the procedure.

no, I'm not sure, but I think this little pop-up window is part of Sublime..... it's called the abbreviation window... and it's very useful in many cases...

Anyway, I found that the integration of Emmet into DW is really badly managed...... there are a lot of things that are feasible with Emmet, and that we can't reproduce under DW... like internal double TABs in fragments, or adding abbreviations on multiple lines, or real time changes of abbreviations... in short Sublime is really a few steps ahead on this subject

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed about the extension. But from someone who uses Word an awful, lot... it has a lot more power than most people realize. You just need to learn how to use it. It's kind of like using CSS in a web page 😉 Those who live by the enter and spacebar keys and the ribbons, are tantamount to web designers that use CTRL Shift and font tags.

If you know what you're doing, then copying a list from Word yields a perfect list when pasted into Dreamweaver. Copying paragraphs, produces perfect paragraphs, etc. When it comes to copying and pasting content into Dreamweaver, it's a case of garbage out = garbage in

But I hear you, because the same folks who have problems creating a proper web page are probably related to those who have problems formatting content in a word processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive never really had much dealings or use for Word as l mostly use Xpress or lnDesign when creating documents. If someone does send me a Word document l just open it in Pages, suck out the text and put it into the DTP app and format it in one of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

Ive never really had much dealings or use for Word as l mostly use Xpress or lnDesign when creating documents. If someone does send me a Word document l just open it in Pages, suck out the text and put it into the DTP app and format it in one of those.

Never used either program. Is there not a styles capability to set up headings, paragraphs, spacing, etc... without having to force it? How about a save filter to generate html-compliant code?

word.png

Yields this markup:

<div class="WordSection1">

<p>The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.</p>

<p>Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,</p>

<p>And sorry I could not travel both</p>

<p>And be one traveler, long I stood</p>

<p>And looked down one as far as I could</p>

<p>To where it bent in the undergrowth;</p>

</div>

I use Word 2010. I think newer versions are even better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive never really investigated what lndesign or Xpress is capable of in terms of formating for the web. I think both do have limited  options but lve personally never used them, l do all the formatting in the html editor........feels safer to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  a écrit

I use Word 2010. I think newer versions are even better.

I confirm, Microsoft has really passed a milestone and I definitely use it (2016) to format text before injecting it directly into web content or database ... it is really a real plus...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ben, isn't the previous message a hoax or an unsolicited message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just somebody who likes to see their reply on line. Most harmless.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines