• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

33 years in Adobe products, 30 minutes ever in Dreamweaver question (don't laugh too hard)

Participant ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After decades telling clients I don't/won't do html (I'm Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign).. I have to do html. Today I downloaded Dreamweaver and opened a template a client provided. No problem changing out images, adding header, changing text (just started dumming it in)... but when I get the cursor blink just beyond the last text in the paragraph and add an IMG - the whole layout shifts. 

I know seasoned pros are probably hating this thread already, and even beginners are laughing. I get it. I only got this request 75 minutes ago so no time to watch tutorials yet (weekends for that), car business is hurry hurry hurry, and once I gety one done it will be "now do these other 25".

How can I force the layout back to two columns so I can insert the logo you see on the right example (or do I need to create it's own block)? The logo should be floating just below the text block. Thanks in advance. 

BenPleysier_0-1596754080143.png

[Moderator added the image to replace the link]

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add an image, you need to stay within the containing element, which in this case would be downstream elements of the html-table element.

Please keep in mind that Dreamweaver is not a drag and drop type of program.

Edit: You may do well following this tutorial https://www.w3schools.com/html/

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Going to start on tutorials today. I wish Adobe would make a WYSWYG version of Illustrator then I'd be an instant web master )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I wish Adobe would make a WYSWYG version of Illustrator then I'd be an instant web master "

I don't think that's what you meant.  Illustrator is already WYSIWYG because it's a graphics editor.

Just so you understand, there is no tool in the world that can make you an instant web developer anymore than there is a tool that can make you an instant electrician or plumber.  What you don't know would fill volumes of books and at least a 4 year college degree program to explain.  Dreamweaver is a good tool but tools don't build websites, people do. 

If you're really serious about doing this professionally, start studying UX/UI theory, HTML and its relationship to CSS, responsive layouts, client-side & server-side programming, safe practices, web accessibility, privacy regulations, the usage of frameworks, search engine optimization and much, much more... 

Related links:

Good luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW assumes you have basic coding skills.

When things break it's almost always caused by code errors like orphaned opening or closing tags.

<p> This is good. </p>

<p>this is broken

Go to Window > Results > Validation to check your code for errors.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines