• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accidental auto-prefixer in CC2018?

Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this by accident when trying to indent some CSS, I never noticed it in my now deleted CC2017, so it may have been there as well, but when I start with this code in my css...

.test {

background-image:linear-gradient(to bottom right, rgb(34, 46, 104), rgb(25, 83, 165), rgb(157, 206, 238));   

}

...and put the cursor after the ending semi-colon and hit Tab with Emmet enabled, it creates...

.test {

background-image:-webkit-linear-gradient(top left, rgb(34, 46, 104), rgb(25, 83, 165), rgb(157, 206, 238));

background-image:-o-linear-gradient(top left, rgb(34, 46, 104), rgb(25, 83, 165), rgb(157, 206, 238));

background-image:linear-gradient(to bottom right, rgb(34, 46, 104), rgb(25, 83, 165), rgb(157, 206, 238));   

}

Was this in CC2017, or did Adobe update Emmet without mentioning it?

(it does not work with Emmet turned off)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Found this in the documentation, (look at example 2) for emmet -

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/writing-editing-code.html

As i said i checked with using emmet yesterday, and some vendor prefixing is possible, but not controllable.

With a proper auto-prefixer, you can control which browser version(s) to target, select to apply on save, to a specific selection, and if you wish browser specific css, (none w3c specs) to propergate to all vendors just in case they also adopt the none standard

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but if you go back to CS6, (i think it was) you will find that in preferences the vendor prefixing was introduced for this, along with transforms, transitions and border-radius.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emmet does have some css features, but i tried them yesterday with css grid template syntax, and those did not work, (don't know if it should).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, I never noticed it in previous versions.

I knew about the hyphen in Emmet, but I didn't know it would expand an otherwise fully formed line of css like that.

Doesn't seem to do it on much else though.

Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very limited, if it was not then i would not complain about not having a stand-alone autoprefixer as much as i do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jon+Fritz+II  wrote

Weird, I never noticed it in previous versions.

I knew about the hyphen in Emmet, but I didn't know it would expand an otherwise fully formed line of css like that.

Doesn't seem to do it on much else though.

Oh well.

I think emmet has been able to do that for some time but only where certain css is concerned which is practically uselsss really but hey that is how a simple autoprefixer should and can work, no fuss. Coda on Mac does something very similar for a couple of flex elements yet nothing for the rest of the flex family. It can be done, the question is why is it not being done as the ability to be able to prefix on tab or when code hinting is selected is very possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have 2017.0.1.   Yes, Emmet adds the vendor prefixes as you described.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this in the documentation, (look at example 2) for emmet -

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/writing-editing-code.html

As i said i checked with using emmet yesterday, and some vendor prefixing is possible, but not controllable.

With a proper auto-prefixer, you can control which browser version(s) to target, select to apply on save, to a specific selection, and if you wish browser specific css, (none w3c specs) to propergate to all vendors just in case they also adopt the none standard css code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference, this is the cheat sheet for emmet -

https://docs.emmet.io/cheat-sheet/

I wonder how many people can or want to use emmet, except for the items they use on a daily bases. Trying to remember all the possibilities would for me be impossible, and even with the cheat sheet i don't think i would save any time, as the time saved in typing would be spent in looking up the code, except as i say, for regularly used items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Paula,

it's a intelligent auto complete... it is really easy to use, and stuffs come automatically when using it... cheat sheet is good to get a real overhall of everything , and believe me use it... every thing will follow...

Dw doesn't integrate emmet very well... and a lot of ergonomy usability is really missing... but anyway, the point is that emmet is easy to take in hand, and either if there are many many possibilities, it is easy when using it to get all of them. But again... Dw really to be polish on the emmet integration

I'm not sure of being clear... youps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

For reference, this is the cheat sheet for emmet -

https://docs.emmet.io/cheat-sheet/

I wonder how many people can or want to use emmet, except for the items they use on a daily bases. Trying to remember all the possibilities would for me be impossible, and even with the cheat sheet i don't think i would save any time, as the time saved in typing would be spent in looking up the code, except as i say, for regularly used items.

I dont really use it extensively. I think it makes you become a lazy coder. How many times have you forgotten the most basic html/css and think, WTF, I've been doing this 15+ years and I can't remember that. I know its just a blip in the memory but if you keep using this 'short-hand' it becomes 'normal' and you will forget the basics. I try where I can to maintain a good percentage of pure hand-coding. Some will say that's insane because it takes longer but I say it makes me a better coder and able to trouble shoot issues quicker. I'd take that over saving 10% any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem i have with abbreviations is that over the years i have had to try and memorise thousands, (i gave up trying). In the aircraft industry there are actual manuals listing them, with the same acronym being used multiple time with different meanings across different aircraft.

I would also never recommend anyone trying to memorise the shortcuts, as i find that having to write it out fully, helps me remember exactly what the code does and how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

pziecina  wrote

The problem i have with abbreviations is that over the years i have had to try and memorise thousands, (i gave up trying). In the aircraft industry there are actual manuals listing them, with the same acronym being used multiple time with different meanings across different aircraft.

I would also never recommend anyone trying to memorise the shortcuts, as i find that having to write it out fully, helps me remember exactly what the code does and how it works.

It's probably one reason why I also dislike like front-end css frameworks because its a game of memory or look-me-up and I know which is used frequently,  look-me-up, plus when the framework is updated so are the css classes and additional ones are added. As you have said by the time you look it up, troublshooted etc you could have coded it yourself........virtually no time is saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines