Highlighted

Adding comments to a webpage

Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not talking about commenting code, but enabling visitors to add comments that I can reply to, in a page that I have already built.

I only need something very simple, preferably no ads, and I have found this jQuery plugin: jquery-comments by Viima

It probably serves my purpose, that is, if I can manage to configure it. (I don't know javascript)

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

I also wonder if there are any security risks or other potential problems involved, apart from spammers.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Per Berntsen | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Nancy,

I couldn't get the GentleSource script to work, but I found this https://www.commentics.org/  and it works.

Only problem is that it makes the main menu expand fully, which is not critical, but annoying.

I'm guessing that it's somehow related to the menu being a server side include.

Here's a test page: Untitled

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adding comments to a webpage

Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not talking about commenting code, but enabling visitors to add comments that I can reply to, in a page that I have already built.

I only need something very simple, preferably no ads, and I have found this jQuery plugin: jquery-comments by Viima

It probably serves my purpose, that is, if I can manage to configure it. (I don't know javascript)

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

I also wonder if there are any security risks or other potential problems involved, apart from spammers.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Per Berntsen | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Nancy,

I couldn't get the GentleSource script to work, but I found this https://www.commentics.org/  and it works.

Only problem is that it makes the main menu expand fully, which is not critical, but annoying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 05, 2018 0
Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commenting is going to attract spam bots.  You will need a back end admin section to stay on top of it.  Guestbook - GentleSource PHP Scripts

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2018 0
Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nancy.

So I take it that you don't recommend jQuery because there is no way to block spammers?

I checked out the link you posted, but this solution seems to require a separate guestbook page. (or maybe I'm missing something)

I need the comments to be at the bottom of a particular page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2018 0
Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Per.  I thought I gave you a link to the Comments script. 

PHP Comment Script - GentleSource PHP Scripts

I don't think jQuery alone will do what you need.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2018 1
Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll look into this tomorrow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2018 0
Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 06, 2018 0