Exit

Adobe has found its replacement for BC.

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who have yet to be informed Adobe is buying Magento -

https://magento.com/blog/magento-news/adobe-to-acquire-magento

Probably a better product to use than BC in the long term.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just hope they keep their distance overall, aside from integration into there products and don't muck up a good thing concerning Magento.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This comes to mind Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (Official Video) - YouTube

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BC was created by the developers of the Dw developers toolkit, which was immediately dropped by Adobe once they aquired the company, and as we all know BC was never a success and has now also been dropped after 10 years.

10 years is not a bad life for a product, but I wonder how much Adobe will invest in Magento, and if it is going to be another one of those Adobe acquisitions that suffers from under investment, just like Dw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

I wonder how much Adobe will invest in Magento, and if it is going to be another one of those Adobe acquisitions that suffers from under investment, just like Dw.

That's exactly what I meant by mucking up a good thing with Magento above. I am not really seeing much discussion at this point in the Magento community. But upsetting a few Muse/BC users, is gonna be far different than upsetting Magento developers/users, so it will be interesting how it all unfolds going forward. Historically its not always positive when Adobe gets involved in acquiring and taking over the products of others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T  wrote

Historically its not always positive when Adobe gets involved in acquiring and taking over the products of others.

I cannot think of any instances where it has been positive.  If you are aware of any, please enlighten me.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

List of acquisitions by Adobe Systems - Wikipedia

Looking at the list none really stand out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T  wrote

List of acquisitions by Adobe Systems - Wikipedia

Looking at the list none really stand out.

Lots of missteps there but some notable successes too.

I think acquiring Photoshop from the Knoll brothers in the 90s qualifies. Others had the opportunity before Adobe.

Syntrillium (was Cool Edit Pro, now Audition) in 2003 was also inspired.

Aldus PageMaker (another Adobe acquisition) was killed by Quark. Quark intended to acquire Adobe but Adobe rebuffed them and released InDesign.

Nothing stands out in the past decade though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WolfShade  wrote

I cannot think of any instances where it has been positive.  If you are aware of any, please enlighten me.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Isn't that how they became market leaders, buy up the competition then get rid of the competing products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe is just following in the footsteps of Micro$oft and Google.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

BC was created by the developers of the Dw developers toolkit, which was immediately dropped by Adobe once they aquired the company, and as we all know BC was never a success and has now also been dropped after 10 years.

Business Catalyst was not created by InterAKT (Adobe Romania). It was originally released in 2004 in Australia by Bardia Housman and Adam Broadway. It wasn't until after BC was acquired by Adobe in 2009 that the former InterAKT development team became involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for correcting David, it always comes as a surprise to me when I realise how much I am forgetting, (or have forgotten) these days.

Still now that Adobe has made the Magento acquisition, it does show that they are starting to take web development seriously, and not just concentrating on the small static site creator. It will be interesting to see just how far they will go, and what will happen in the next 18 months with the focus apparently moving to the Experience Cloud and the partnership with Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grief, those happily using Magento wil be quaking in their boots at that news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only view this forum via Thunderbird feed. I saw this topic before putting on my readers and for a moment thought you had written that Adobe had purchased Magneto... which would have been really cool since we all know that Adobe could use a few superpowers. Now, I'm really bummed out, which Magento users are likely to be... sooner or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they going to leave the open source version alone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

paulk7737514  wrote

Are they going to leave the open source version alone?

No one except Adobe knows at this time. If it follows other take overs in recent years then the open source version will only be available for a limited time, after which you will have to pay.

As I said though, only Adobe knows, so do not rely on the answer being correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines