• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there no Dreamweaver sessions at ADOBE MAX 2020?

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find anything related to Dreamweaver at Adobe MAX sessions.  Why are there none, zero related to Dreamweaver?  No love from Adobe?

TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Owing to COVID, this year's MAX is different on many levels.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's covid related. Most probably that's the beginning of EOL for DW and probably they will kill it next year 😄 They did literally nothing for the latest version. Wondering how do DW devs spend their time while they should be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find anything related to Dreamweaver at Adobe MAX sessions. Why are there none, zero related to Dreamweaver? No love from Adobe?

That was known some time back when the Max schedule was realeased. Personally I dont think DW is going anywhere fast and hasn't been for the last few years. Development on the product is way too slow and features which were promised have unfortunately not materialized.

My own view is the web-development market is now fully saturated with other bits of software, all of which do the job equally, most better than DW, to a greater or lesser extent. Adobe is resigned to accepting that fact, I think, although they wont actually make their views clear in terms of the road map for their products, which again counts against them as users need clarity.

There is little financial return in producing low-end web-development products for large companies like Adobe, so they are reasonably, despite what DW users want, are not going to allocate resources or time to develop a better product or keep one on life support fully updated and compatible with modern web-design.

There are literally zillions of other web-development products out there, all trying to get a bit of the market, targeting amatuers and professionals alike. Web-develeopment itself i.e., just producing static websites is dead in the water. Its all about app production now and that's where the real money is or if you still want to get involved in front-end design you have to work for a professional development company that can tap into clients that have muti-dollars to spend. 

As for DWs future, I don't know, but it would not be a great surprise at some stage to see it put to rest. As they say 'Every dog has its day'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all know Adobe commit hardly any resources to Dreamweaver, let’s not blame it on COVID 😂  Unfortunately for a long time now, Adobe have been adding features and replacing others that created even more performance issues, glitches and loss of features, so they spent the rest of the time trying to fix all the issues they created.... Live view and new code editor are two prime examples, the disconnect between the extension developers has also meant that a lot of extension developers have moved on bar a few of the big ones and the future looks bleak for Dreamweaver..... Extensions add real value to Dreamweaver, the P7 ones for example are great for none coders.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why they dont wrap DW around the Brackets system is confusing, as that has a lot better system and a lot of active extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why they dont wrap DW around the Brackets system is confusing, as that has a lot better system and a lot of active extensions."

That's exactly what they did a couple of versions back, which introduced a slew of bugs and conflicts in the process. DW's Code View is Brackets. The last version that was not "Brackets-Based" was CC2015.

There are a fair number of Brackets extensions that work fine with DW, unfortunately, a good number of those need minor modification so they don't conflict with some other unrelated DW function, and Adobe hasn't created a way to add them from within the UI, it all needs to be done manually. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😮 never knew that. Will see if I can add a few. Yeah, if they had done the change properlly it would have been a lot better, is like being stuck with the worst of both. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There are literally zillions of other web-development products out there" 

Could you give me some examples please? I'm not interested in the web tools/apps. Just name the desktop apps for MacOS with Adobe products line integration or at least Creative Cloud integration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Could you give me some examples?"

"Litterally zillions" is a gross exageration.  Other than Dreamwever, there are no Creative Cloud desktop apps for web authoring.  XD is a UI/UX design tool but it doesn't generate usable code. Muse is discontinued

MODERN SITE BUILDERS:
-- Adobe Behance (free) - https://help.behance.net/hc/en-us/articles/204483894-Guide-Intro-to-Behance
-- Adobe Brackets (open source) - http://brackets.io/
-- Adobe Dreamweaver CC - https://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html
-- Adobe Portfolio (free with a paid Creative Cloud Plan) - https://portfolio.adobe.com/
-- Bootstrap Studio - https://bootstrapstudio.io/
-- Pinegrow - https://pinegrow.com/
-- Squarespace - https://www.squarespace.com/
-- Visual Studio Code (open source) - https://code.visualstudio.com/
-- Webflow - https://webflow.com/
-- Wix - https://www.wix.com/
-- WordPress (open source) - https://wordpress.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, zillions is obviously a figure of speech but there is a whole raft of website/app builders you have missed from your list ... a few more l can name are:

Wappler

Bubble

Editor X

Weebly

Without Code

Just do a Google search and you'll pull up even more.

More code editors include:

Web/php storm

Sublime

Codelobster

Nova

Komodo

Ultra edit

Slick edit

Atom

We arent in the early 2000s any longer where virtually all developers had a common goal in mind, needed skills to achieve those goals and could relate to the problems they faced and there were very few website building tools. Today there has been an explosion of web development techniques and software, libraries and frameworks. The industry is in disarray, developers confused and fighting one another as to what workflow is best, what software is best, what skills are needed. What does being a web developer even mean these days given most of us only know a fraction of the current workflows, software and techniques available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is presently the ONLY desktop web authoring app that integrates with Creative Cloud and that was the last question. 

And Adobe's two online web services, Portfolio and Spark, also integrate with Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who cares about Adobe Creative Cloud when discussing front end and back end web applications. Adobe is so far behind the curve these days when it comes to anything related to that specific area, what they have to offer really isnt worth discussing, in a serious capacity. Forget Adobe when it comes to choosing modern web applications. The thread is about DW and its lack of development, new features and perhaps because of a myriad of other more advanced products and a competitive market, this is the reason why.

Im not saying DW is a totally poor product just one which is now not reflective of a company which has always been a leader in everything they produce. Wix has just invested heavily in Editor X and bought it to market to rival Webflow, with the financial clout Adobe have one could be forgiven for thinking they would want to bring something to market better than both, obviously not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I care. That's why my question was about desktop app. To be precise - about any desktop app for MacOS. CC integration maybe isn't the most important feature but I just want to know is there anything like that on the market. What I really DON'T CARE are the web tools for web designs. Especially the ones with subscription model based on the numbers of websites or even worse with the closed integrated hosting services. I'm using Adobe apps for business needs like corporate identity, so I need the same fonts, colors, graphics libraries across all my design projects (AI, PS, ID, PR etc.). If I would ever be interested in any web tools for websites it must be integrated with CRM/CXM like for example new HubSpot's CMS Hub. But for now I just want to know is there anything like desktop Adobe DW or discontinued Adobe Muse with unlimited websites I can create or hosting services I can choose from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But for now I just want to know is there anything like desktop Adobe DW or discontinued Adobe Muse with unlimited websites I can create or hosting services I can choose from.

Try Blue Griffon (Its a standalone WYSIWYG editor - purchase once - no subscription - free to host your code on any server)

http://www.bluegriffon.org/

Pinegrow (Has a one time payment option as well as a subscription model - free to host your code on any server)

https://pinegrow.com/

Maybe I've read this wrong but if you are using AI, PS, ID, PR then not quite sure why you dont want to use Dreamweaver, all the others you mentioned are creative-cloud apps.

Try Google Fonts for websites, you can download the same fonts for you desktop publishing projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most generic code editors do not upload files. You will need a separate S/FTP client like FileZilla, Cute FTP, Cyberduck, SmartFTP, WinSCP, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the replies and responses received so far from everyone.  I do see that Adobe pushed out the 2021 version of Dreamweaver which downloaded today to my PC.  I would like to see Dreamweaver get some feature time or demonstration/training at the next MAX or similar conference from Adobe, even if it is something most of the seasoned developers already know or even if it is not a major new feature for the product.  I am sure new users, as well as those who might like to see something we may not be using to its full capability, do come along and would like to get help/training/whatever from Adobe.  Keep the Dreamweaver part of the Adobe users in mind both for presentations like MAX and for resources to continue and grow Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines