Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic pushing of files to testing server does not work

Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a site in Dreamweaver and defined a testing server. I also configured that files should automatically be pushed to this testing server. The description in the server settings tab says that the transfer will be done on saving of my documents.

But this does not work. When I press F12 for the browser preview, the files are copied, but not on saving. This means I always have to close the browser and press F12 again.

I use the "static browser preview", if this is relevant. And I don't mean a live preview, I know that I have to press F5 in the browser. The problem is that the new files are not copied.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Now I found a solution which combines the best of both approaches (at least for me):

I created a new virtual host within my apache (wamp) installation and pointed this to my site folder within my documents folder. So my files are directly accessible within the testing server, but I stay with my "nicer" folder structure.

Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

But it's still strange that the pushing feature does not work as described by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put your local site folder inside your localhost's default web folder.  See screenshot.

CC-testingServer1.jpg

With this set-up, saving files automatically saves them to your testing server so there's nothing to push.  It's one less thing to think about.  It also reduces duplicate files on your hard drive.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this is indeed an option.

But not a good one for me, because my local server folder is just for testing and I do not backup it. I have my created websites in my documents folder. It's not a problem to backup also the server folder, but it's not a "proper" solution in my opinion.

Do you know why the push function does not work? Or do I understand this feature wrong? Then also the help file and help text within Dreamweaver are wrong.

I found a workaround, which is OK, but I'm still wondering why the push function is not working. The workaround is to set the testing server entry to "automatic upload on saving".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you understand what I'm saying or you wouldn't have dismissed it without trying it. Moving your local site folder from Documents to your testing server's web folder takes all of 2 seconds.  It will solve your problem and at the same time removes redundancy and inefficiency. 

The advice you receive here is from fellow product users and knowledgeable experts.  Collectively, we have many decades of experience using Dreamweaver.  Accept the advice provided or not, your choice.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely understood. But why does Dreamweaver offer an option which does not work? This is the real question here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I found a solution which combines the best of both approaches (at least for me):

I created a new virtual host within my apache (wamp) installation and pointed this to my site folder within my documents folder. So my files are directly accessible within the testing server, but I stay with my "nicer" folder structure.

Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

But it's still strange that the pushing feature does not work as described by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pushing files to testing server does work as expected when I hold down Ctrl + Shift + U. 

And it also works with Ctrl + S.   See my screenshot.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I can only say that it does not work for me. 😉

I use the latest version of Dreamweaver.

I guess I cannot do more than enabling the push feature within the testing sever entry in the site settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines