• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bootstrap CSS as read only Dreamweaver

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I an unsure what version of Dreamweaver I am using but I pay monthly through creative cloud and it gets updated regularly so would assume most up to date version?

I am relatively new to coding and to Dreamweaver. So far I have designed two websites which I uploaded using my FTP client and they work beautifully. I have tried to start another website using exactly the same methods as I did before, but for some reason now, when I am on create new, select Bootstrap Portfolio template the CSS file comes up as read only whereas it didn't before. I have to click "make writeable" but for some reason it does not want to recognise some of the files I have in the root folder (which I have double and triple checked that it is connected to Dreamweaver as the local file of the site I am building) and tells me they are in another folder (which they aren't) and that I should copy them over.

I tried this but then the link for the CSS sheet in my source code changes to that from another website, and as you can image this creates even more issues.

I spent around 5 hours yesterday trying to figure this out and I am all out of ideas.... Please help 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason why the CSS file has been made readable only is because it should never be touched. If you want to make a style rule change then you can do that in a file called mystyles.css (or similar). Make sure to load the mystyles.css after you have loaded the Bootstrap file.

Edit: See https://bootstrapbay.com/blog/customize-bootstrap/

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben, thank you for your help. So if I create a new CSS sheet as you say, would the CSS in the template file not then conflict with that of the new file I have created?

So I would be asking for one thing and the other stylesheet would be specifying something different...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emmad23117089  wrote

Hi Ben, thank you for your help. So if I create a new CSS sheet as you say, would the CSS in the template file not then conflict with that of the new file I have created?

So I would be asking for one thing and the other stylesheet would be specifying something different...

If you link your newly created stylesheet AFTER that of the linked Bootstrap css file there will be no conflict. But watch out for 'gotchas' - IF you write a substanstial amount of your own css/code you will be reverse engineering a lot of css attributes. But that's not the idea the idea of Bootstrap is to use predominately the Bootstrap css/code styling. with a few introduced tweaks.

If you suddenly introduce Bootstrap css/code into a bespoke coded website for some reason, maybe to take advantage of one of the modules, that's when you will encounter conflict issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should never touch the Bootstrap CSS or JS files directly.   Either use a separate external CSS file as Ben suggests.  More advanced users customize their Bootstrap projects with SASS variables and mixins.  Or sometimes we use Bootstrap themes from Bootswatch.

https://bootswatch.com/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So please what's the solution because I'm having same issue here I'm really worried.. Please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why be worried?  You should not be editing Bootstrap files.   If needed, create a separate CSS file for custom styles.  Add it beneath Bootstrap.

<link href="css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">

<link href="css/my_custom_styles.css" rel="stylesheet">

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines