• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bootstrap template won't change despite edits - hosts fault???

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've contacted my web host on 4 different occasions and was told the problem was "fixed."

I take an entire Bootstrap template and nicely unzip and insert all the folders. Everything looks just as it should from the bootstrap template. Here's where it gets odd: all the images/photos I replace with what I want and it quickly works okay and re-takes the spots that I wanted them to replace. So those work fine.  But everything else i edit (text, title, drop boxes, etc) is NOT replacing or working at all when i save and put. SURE it works on Dreamweaver, but not on the actual webpage. What could be causing this? My host says this is fixed and I don't know whom to believe now

Anyone else have this happen? And since the files are transferring and replacing they are right in that respect. Just odd how I can change the files but not the text (and others) each time I "save" and "put" And when I open the page up on my PC - not online - you can see some changes are made (see attached video) via the editing; but not through the post.

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Are you uploading your files to the correct root directory on remote server. 

My root directory is public_html.  Yours may differ by hosting plan.

CC-RootFolder.jpg

Another thing to check is the last modified time and date stamp on remote files.  Expand your files panel to show both Remote and Local folders side by side.

CC-FilesPanel-expanded.jpg

If you don't see recent files on remote server, check your testing server (if you have one set-up).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is more likely a browser caching issue especially if you are using Chrome as your browser.

If you are using Chrome - try Shift/CMD + Delete to bring up the tool to clear your browser cache. If you are using Chrome you will need to do this anytime you make changes to a CSS file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what Brad stated, I find using CTRL-F5 works in FireFox and IE.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you for the idea but that is not the cure. Each time I asked my host about this problem they always replied with that as well - clearing my browsers. I did that and the problem wasn't initially solved. I did it with FireFox and IE.

What my host would then do is re-align my domain pointers  to a NEW sub-directory and THAT would make past text-changes take effect. That would take effect effect only temporarily as then as I would go about make more text adjustments = no effect . But like I said before, the .img (images/photos) will keep changing just fine. So confusing.

Still all ears for thoughts or ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the old info still show on other computers/devices?
Does it eventually update after a time?

If so, tell your hosting company to turn off any and all caching at the server level.

That's the only way I can think of, other than browser caching, to be getting outdated content in a browser after a successful upload of new info to the server.

Something is holding onto that old info, either your computer, or theirs. Since you've cleared your local cache, that really only leaves one alternative.

It may also be worth testing what happens in the browser when you delete a page that already exists. Can you still see that page, or do you get a 404 not found error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to sound trite, but this leads me to believe that it's time to find a better hosting service.

I'm not a big fan of GoDaddy, but they are inexpensive.  I code in ColdFusion, and I love Hostek.com for hosting.  Inexpensive, quick tech support, 99.99% uptime, and some goodies in the cPanel.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you uploading your files to the correct root directory on remote server. 

My root directory is public_html.  Yours may differ by hosting plan.

CC-RootFolder.jpg

Another thing to check is the last modified time and date stamp on remote files.  Expand your files panel to show both Remote and Local folders side by side.

CC-FilesPanel-expanded.jpg

If you don't see recent files on remote server, check your testing server (if you have one set-up).

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the problem. They kept changing the Sub-directory and would NOT tell me to adjust my Root Directory under Manage Sites. I wasted a couple weeks doing this.

Thanks for the help Nancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think your hosting provider just provided you reason to switch to a better hosting service.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@ WolfShade ....I'll definitely be taking you opinion deeply into consideration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines