• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Border-radius causes table issues in IE

Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve found an odd bug that I’m looking for help resolving. My organization uses an LMS that gives us limited ability to modify parts of the system. The home page uses tables and I can add some custom CSS to change things, but I’ve found an odd bug only when viewing the page in Internet Explorer.

The home page uses tables, which we have to use, and each table width is set to a percentage. Each table has 2 rows and 3 columns and only the middle column is not set to a specific width so it’s free to change width depending on the width of the page.

I’m applying border-top-right-radius to change the top right corner cells of the tables but doing so will add a thin white space between the left side of the cell and the middle cell depending on the width of Internet Explorer. As you increase and decrease the width of the browser the line will appear and disappear. If you remove border-top-right-radius the line also disappears.

borderRadius.png

I setup a test file in Dreamweaver to check this out and it’s not specific to the LMS. The bug appears due to a combination of setting the table to a percentage and the use of radius border-radius.

Any ideas on how to resolve the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

OK.  But border-radius can still be applied directly to the table's top-right corner, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried applying the

overflow: hidden;

property?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see your code.

Are you using border-radius in % or fixed pixels?

To what  selector(s) are you applying border-radius?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE10, 11, and MS Edge have issues with border radius on child elements. There are some workarounds, depending on your code, but, as Nancy said, you would need to post a link to a page that shows the issue for anyone to give you a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I can't give access to the LMS, I've uploaded my file, that replicates the LMS' HTML page structure and the CSS I'm adding, here: Untitled Document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what box-left, right and middle are for.  You don't need them for border-radius. 

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<style>

table {

width: 80%;

background: #012B10;

color: #FFF;

border-radius: 0 35px 0 0;

padding: 2%;

}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<table>

<tr>

<td>something</td>

<td> </td>

<td>something</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>something</td>

<td> </td>

<td>something</td>

</tr>

</table>

</body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are the classes created by the LMS that are assigned to the cells in the top of the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  But border-radius can still be applied directly to the table's top-right corner, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would if I was going to have the same color fill in all the table's cells but border-radius doesn't work if you're defining a color for each cell's class. However, that got me thinking about using the green for the entire table then using a pseudo class to re-define the color of the row directly below the first, and this solution worked.

Second test

Perfect resizing of IE without any display problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue can be mitigated by assigning a matching background color to the parent table. But I'm failing to see why you approached the border-radius and the backgrounds the way you did. Nor do I see a reason for even using a table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have a choice in the matter. The LMS we use automatically generates tables instead of using div's with CSS. This is the only way to modify what how they've structured their system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines