• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make image replacement on rollover of hotspots responsive?

Participant ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum

I'm redesigning a client's website and one thing they still want is the programs map which I created through an old version of Dreamweaver involving image swap on rollover of 20 different hotspots on the map. It seems clumsy, or clunky considering what might be available these days.

Any advice on how I can accomplish this in today's world of responsive web design? If you look at the map of Wisconsin on a laptop or tablet, it still works. But on phones it doesn't. I think it changes where these hotspots are as the map scales down to fit on the page.

Ideally I wouldn't have to have 20 different image rollovers, but would still like the effect of the highlighted radius and a box that pops up showing program location, etc.

And I know, it might not be so "practical" to have such a map on small phones, but the client wants it.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Wisconsin Association for Homeless and Runaway Services | Programs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Image maps are not responsive because as you say, the hotspots drift out of aligment with the rescaled image.  Below are some workarounds.

Custom Google Maps.

My Maps – About – Google Maps

jQuery plugin. 

Responsive Image Maps jQuery Plugin

Responsive SVG.

the new code – Create A Responsive Imagemap With SVG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image maps are not responsive because as you say, the hotspots drift out of aligment with the rescaled image.  Below are some workarounds.

Custom Google Maps.

My Maps – About – Google Maps

jQuery plugin. 

Responsive Image Maps jQuery Plugin

Responsive SVG.

the new code – Create A Responsive Imagemap With SVG

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy,

Not sure the workarounds really work for my purposes. For the time being I'll give up and just keep what the client wants for desktop/tablet and hide it on phones.

One problem on the page I forgot about. Maybe you can help.

When I open the Programs page on a desktop or tablet the secondary navigation shows the "Wisconsin Runaway" tab as the default open page. When I open the Programs page on a phone the navigation "Wisconsin Runaway" tab is not showing in the default open state (until clicked on). Any clue as to how to fix that?

Here's are the two scripts:

<script>

// Used to toggle the menu on small screens when clicking on the menu button

function myFunction() {

var x = document.getElementById("navDemo");

if (x.className.indexOf("w3-show") == -1) {

x.className += " w3-show";

} else {

x.className = x.className.replace(" w3-show", "");

}

}

</script>

<script>

function openProgram(evt, programName) {

var i, tabcontent, tablinks;

tabcontent = document.getElementsByClassName("tabcontent");

for (i = 0; i < tabcontent.length; i++) {

tabcontent.style.display = "none";

}

tablinks = document.getElementsByClassName("tablinks");

for (i = 0; i < tablinks.length; i++) {

tablinks.className = tablinks.className.replace(" active", "");

}

document.getElementById(programName).style.display = "block";

evt.currentTarget.className += " active";

}

// Get the element with id="defaultOpen" and click on it

document.getElementById("defaultOpen").click();

</script>

And here is the page: Wisconsin Association for Homeless and Runaway Services | Programs

As always, thanks for any help!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

daveharr1s0n  wrote

One problem on the page I forgot about. Maybe you can help.

When I open the Programs page on a desktop or tablet the secondary navigation shows the "Wisconsin Runaway" tab as the default open page. When I open the Programs page on a phone the navigation "Wisconsin Runaway" tab is not showing in the default open state (until clicked on). Any clue as to how to fix that?

You don't need 2 instances of your navigation code.....that's a nightmare to manage if you want to update the links text at a future stage and also bloats the code........just use the 1 instance for both desktop and mobile, see revised code below: (this also takes care of your 'active' tab when initially visiting the website). The reason the 'active' tab its currently not working is you have 2 instances of the id 'defaultOpen' but if you only use 1 instance of it both desktop and mobile will work, as you require.

<div class="w3-row w3-navigation">

<div class="w3-third tab">

<button class="tablinks" onClick="openProgram(event, 'Runaway')" id="defaultOpen">Wisconsin Runaway</button>

</div>

<button class="tablinks" onClick="openProgram(event, 'Transitional')">Transitional Living</button>

</div>

<button class="tablinks" onClick="openProgram(event, 'Street')">Street Outreach</button>

</div>

</div>

<!-- end w3-navigation -->

Then you can add a simple css media query to your css file which adds the padding around the links and the bottom margin for mobile devices:

@media screen and (max-width: 768px) {

.w3-navigation {

padding: 32px;

background-color: #000;

}

.w3-navigation button {

margin: 0 0 8px 0;

}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, problem solved! Yes, I didn't like the idea of having two instances of that in there either.

Thanks, Osgood! I really appreciate it!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines