Highlighted

Can't type in Dreamweaver 2019 editable areas

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just started using DW 2019 and I can't type inside editable areas (<!-- #BeginEditable "nav" --><!-- #EndEditable -->) unless there is already code inside the tags. If I open the same page in DW CS6 there isn't an issue, I can add code.

Seems to be a problem with DW 2019 unless someone has a suggestion please?

Thanks.

Correct answer by coastph | Community Beginner

Thanks for your response. I followed your procedure to create a test page, but I still can't add anything to the editable region no matter which view I'm in. Have to resort to DW CS6 to add content which then makes it editable in DW 2019.

Edit: Yesterday I noticed that if I applied source formatting the colour of the editable tags changed to grey and I could add code as expected, but when I tried this morning it wouldn't happen, but tried later and it's working again. Something decidedly odd going on!

Edit II: I've realised that for the 'applied source formatting' trick to work the page needs to have been template updated. So for anyone experiencing the same issue:

1st time: Apply Source Formatting

2nd time: Tools -> Templates -> Update Current Page -> Apply Source Formatting

Seems likely it's a bug which I'll report to Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't type in Dreamweaver 2019 editable areas

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just started using DW 2019 and I can't type inside editable areas (<!-- #BeginEditable "nav" --><!-- #EndEditable -->) unless there is already code inside the tags. If I open the same page in DW CS6 there isn't an issue, I can add code.

Seems to be a problem with DW 2019 unless someone has a suggestion please?

Thanks.

Correct answer by coastph | Community Beginner

Thanks for your response. I followed your procedure to create a test page, but I still can't add anything to the editable region no matter which view I'm in. Have to resort to DW CS6 to add content which then makes it editable in DW 2019.

Edit: Yesterday I noticed that if I applied source formatting the colour of the editable tags changed to grey and I could add code as expected, but when I tried this morning it wouldn't happen, but tried later and it's working again. Something decidedly odd going on!

Edit II: I've realised that for the 'applied source formatting' trick to work the page needs to have been template updated. So for anyone experiencing the same issue:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 28, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this have to do with the fact that you have OVR turned on instead of INS?

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately toggling between the 2 settings isn't helping the issue for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same behavior in CC2019 19.2 Build 11274. Here are the steps to duplicate...

1. Create a new Template Document
2. Add in an Editable Region
3. Delete the html text of the editable region name (emptying the Template comment for the Editable Region)
4. Save as a Template
5. Create a child from the template

Result: DW will only allow the addition of content via Design View to the empty region. Even after text has been added there, the code itself remains locked in Code View and uneditable there.

EDIT: After playing around a few times with this, I found it would intermittently "unlock" after adding content and saving, but not every time. I have 1 child page that unlocked, and another that won't no matter how much I change/add/save. It's very odd.

EDIT2: Saving, closing and re-opening the child page appears to unlock the Editable Region in Code View (after adding "something" to it in Design View)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2019 0