• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you add another document type to File, New?

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My web site is set up so I use the *.aspx file extension.  We have some things we load on every page on our web site.

I would like to build a custom *.aspx page that most of the page in our site will be based on.  I would like for this to appear as a choice in the new document list, when my team chooses, File, New.  Is this possible?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

I don't know how to add to that exact list, but I do know how to add your own options under the Starter Templates header if you're interested in that.

Basically, instead of clicking on New Document, you would click Starter Templates > Your Custom Page

I made some instructions for that over here: [CC2017] How to create custom starter templates ?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to add to that exact list, but I do know how to add your own options under the Starter Templates header if you're interested in that.

Basically, instead of clicking on New Document, you would click Starter Templates > Your Custom Page

I made some instructions for that over here: [CC2017] How to create custom starter templates ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, this is extremely helpful.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for being later on that one.

well depending on the DW version that you drive, the process can be different, but more or less... there are two principal use case, you want to modify an existing filetype document, or you want to add a brand new one.

in both case, you'll have to modify the MMDocumentTypes.xml located in your configuration roaming folder.

then all the new reference of document template should be added in a NewDocuments folder located in the same root than the previous file. Don't forget to make the file attribut to point at the new document added.

if that was the feature that you was looking for, and if I'm not clear enought, please, don't hesitate, let me know I could write a specific article on that one to help you handling it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birnou,

Nice to see you back in the forum again .

Back in november when Dw2017 was release, I and another forum user found that simply adding to the MMDocumenTypes file did not enable the correct code hinting and completion for the new document type added to Dw.

It is necessary for one of the 'Brackets' files in the Dw folder to also be modified in order to add those.

Unfortunatly due to an error earlier this year, all the information we posted has been deleted, so I am unable to post which 'Brackets' file it is that also requires modifying.

Just thought the information may help if you have the same problem when adding new file extension to Dw's list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Paula,

Nice to see you too...

woaw I didn't remark that the code hint was not folowwing... are you talking about using an existing language (reformating a default existing files)... or by creating a new language template ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birnou

When you create a 'new' document from the default list the type of code supported is automatically indicated in the 'Brackets' code editor window at the bottom right hand side.

In order to do this when a new file type is created an entry must be included in the 'Brackets' configuration files.

(by Brackets i am talking about as it is implemented in Dw)

As an example if someone creates a 'new' html file, the type of code is indicated as html, if someone then creates a new php file the indicator changes to php. For an aspx file the indicator should change to C# or VB to enable code hinting.

Unfortunatly I would not really recommend Dw is used for creating any aspx code, not because of Dw but because MS change/add the .net framework too often for Dw to keep up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes you are right,

by the way I have look in my archive and didn't find any white page on the mecanism in between DW and Bracket, since bracket was introduce in the IDE.

Do you have such document ? is there is any folks from Adobe around there ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did hear that new documentation was being written for extending Dw, as the latest version it is available for is CS5.5.

That was about 6 months ago, and since then I have not heard anything. I did try working out how the code editor and the 'old' features worked myself by reading the extending 'Brackets' documentation but the implementation in Dw is not the same as the free code editor.

I did ask Preran​ a few week ago, but I don't think there has been any more information available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines